winxp in dos mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

mafia_gta

Right off the assembly line
plz can any one tell how to install win xp in dos mode

and what's the command in dos to delete the whole folder.

help me.

godsownman

Padawan
What Xp cannot be loaded in DOS

blacklight said:
winxp cannot be installed in dos mode .
to delete a dir in dos type :rmdir and if dir has files ,use rmdir /s

:idea: Then how does one reload windows XP .I have windows XP already loaded on my system.

:idea: Should i use the option in the setupin the windows environment that comes with upgrading

Will that format the disk or .....

:!: I had read somewhere that there is a way to do so somewhere in the i386 folder.

Please do help i was just going to start a thread on this topic

blacklight

Journeyman
yes ..u can run win xp setup in win xp environment .Later during installation, setup asks u which drive to install xp and whether u want to format ur drive .select the drive and press enter or whatever(dont remember) .also select which files system ntfs or fat32 . thats it !!!

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
Windows XP Setup CAN be initialized in DOS mode by running the winnt.exe file in the i386 folder. However, it is recommended that you use the graphical Winnt32.exe setup (if you're setting up from inside another Windows environment) or to boot off the Windows XP CD and then install via the CD. I would recommend using the bootable Windows XP CD. However, you can always copy the i386 folder to a hard disk and then use winnt.exe for the text-based setup and winnt32.exe for the graphical setup init, except that in the graphical setup init, you need to select "Advanced" at the beginning of the setup options and select "Copy all setup files to hard drive" and "I want to choose the partition during setup"

Try not to "upgrade" from another OS, it is recommended that you use the FSMT wizard and then back up your settings and then format the computer and then install Windows XP cleanly. (Use the "Advanced" clean install option instead of the "Recommended" upgrade option at the start of setup)

theraven

Technomancer
enoon winnt and winnt32 do the same thing
they are both by default GUI based setups
only dff is winnt.exe can be run from dos ( after enabling smartdrv.exe ) and winnt32.exe is run from within windows !

to run the setup in text only mode or GUI mode u need to use the winnt.exe and winnt32.exe switches !

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
Yes, sir, I know. Thats why I specifically said setup can be initialized in DOS mode with winnt.exe. Any way, it would get into the GUI mode after copying the files, which I guess is what our friend would like to do.

But there is a pure text-based setup for Windows? :shock: I wasn't aware of any switch for disabling the GUI setup and switching to text based setup during setup. If you know the switch, please let me know. I am going to reinstall Windows 2000 on another machine, and I've always wondered if there was a text based install (or maybe even a game that I can play during install) for Windows. I know only 18 switches for winnt32 and 9 switches for winnt.exe.

theraven

Technomancer
ok lemme clear this up just a bit
the blue intial screen is what is called the text mode afaik !
and both winnt and winnt32 "INITIALISE" this !
even when u run winnt32 in windows u reboot and come to the blue screen !
thats y i said both do the same thing !
both are for initialising "SETUP.EXE"

as for the pure text mode ... not exactly
but there are various modes
u can completely hide the GUI attended install (thats what i meant by text mode)
i kind of got thrown off when u mentioned winnt as text and winnt32 as GUI ...
but i guess u meant the GUI that pops up in windows and the direct blue screen that u get with winnt !

u can also do a partial unattended install and a full unattended install as well !!as most of u know ( and im sure u do too )

afaik the swithces u know are pretty much it im sure !
again ... i didnt meant PURE TEXT based .. and im sorry for the confusion
like i said i got thrown off by ur differentiation if winnt and winnt32

tho now i wonder myself. .. i will definitely look this up !

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
Yeah, I know the part about how both winnt and winnt32 are the same except when it comes to initialising the GUI setup which will take over once the filecopy completes. And I am aware of unattended installs where you create an answer file. But I am extremely curious to know if I can somehow do a total text install without any GUI elements. :D Man, that would be so sweet! No more watching stupid lies as to how Windows is safer, better, s3xier, the kind of the world and so on and so forth. A simple Scandisk like progress bar, and its done. Ahhh! Now that would be too good if you can find something like that. I bet that it would also cut the install times down by a whopping amount. I will search too. I am totally bouncing off the ceiling right now. :D

theraven

Technomancer
lol again im sorry
i know u probably knew it .. but ill repeat ur statement kinda threw me off
and yeah ... im fascinated by command line interfaces
but i also LOVE GUI's and eyecandy
they fascinate me more than CLI i guess

as for the "lies" u can customize them :D
as soon as i have enuff time im makin me a killer winxp setup cd :D
MSFN.org here i come :D

[EDIT] tho i aint completely sure whether it'll DRASTICALLY reduce installation time !
but imagine some screenies in VPC with CLI setup :drool:

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
Yeah, me too. There's something totally enthralling about using a CLI, maybe I am nostalgic because I started my experience with computers at the C:\> and . prompts. :D Oh man, I didn't know I could customize the lies with my own text. That's just as sweet too.

Point me over to somewhere or teach me which file I should edit to add my text. I dont suppose I should use ResHack on the setup.exe file. :D If you make a killer Windows XP setup CD with SP2, burn me a copy too, will you? :D I've got it slipstreamed with SP2, but that's the plain old mundane Windows XP setup, along with an answer file, nothing "customized". Will be eagerly waiting for customizing and adding in my own lies. I wonder if I can replace the Windows XP logo there with Tux. :lol:

godsownman

Padawan
Boot

Is it possible for me to get the the boot image of an xp cd so that I can integrate the 2 cds and then get a bootable winxp cd .

I dont have any XP CD from where I can get the boot image.

Please help.

Thanks for all the help above.I shall try that soon.

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
@godsownman: PM me with your email address and I will send you the xpboot.bin boot image for Windows XP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom