WinXP Explorer Search Panel Gone . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

qarch

Going green anyone?
I use WinXP SP2. In 'My Computer' when I click the folders taskbutton, I get a vertical folders pane on the left side showing folders (directories/drives, etc). Similarly when I click the Search taskbutton, I used to get a search dialog vertical pane instaed. Now I get only the small dog (or whatever it is called) wagging its tail at the bottom. How do I get back the original search dialog pane without re-installing the OS?

BTW, Google desktop was installed by my son when I was away. He doesn't and I don't know if it disables the search pane.

navjotjsingh

Wise Old Owl
It may be due to google desktop.

1st method
Download TweakUI from *www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp and go to explorer menu and check "Use Classic Search in Explorer".

2nd method
Or use registry tweak
Start>>Run>>regedit.exe
Registry Key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main

Modify/Create the Value Data Type(s) and Value Name(s) as detailed below.

Data Type: String Value // Value Name: Use Search Asst

Note that there are spaces in the String Value, not underscores.
Set the value of Use Search Asst to no.
Exit the registry and reboot.

OP
qarch

qarch

Going green anyone?
Hi navjotjsingh,

I tried the 2nd method first. It was already set to no. I changed the value to yes, but with no results.

Then I downloaded TweakUI from the URL kindly provided and ran it. Now everything is back to normal.

Thanks.

OP
qarch

qarch

Going green anyone?
navjotjsingh said:
2nd method
Modify/Create the Value Data Type(s) and Value Name(s) as detailed below.

Data Type: String Value // Value Name: Use Search Asst

Set the value of Use Search Asst to no.
Exit the registry and reboot.

After running TweakUI, I checked the registryagain. The value of 'Use Search Asst.' was still at yes.

TweahUI madifies the registry to get its thing done, isn't it? So where was the change made which got me back my search panel? Any ideas?

navjotjsingh

Wise Old Owl
According to me is should have used the above mentioned registry tweak but if it is still yes then no idea. You can check yourself the key modified by RegMon at sysinternals.com. Run RegMon and now enable and disable tweaks using TweakUI. Then check through RegMon whick keys were modified.

That should give you an idea whick keys were modified.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom