Winux : Answer to all ur linux booting problems ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
just found this somewhere in a corner of the net .

Winux is a graphical configuration interface for the LOADLIN bootloader. It also has multi-language support including English, French, German, Italian and Spanish.

*www.linux-france.org/prj/winux/English/index.html

Havent tried it , But i prefer using only loadlin to boot into linux . So this should be helpful

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
U can also use zipslack from slackware... which uses windows partitions... and boots either off a floppy or from your command prompt.... it just rulz.. and at 40 mb gives you the flavor of slackware...

OP
K

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
have heard a lot of guys talking abt slackware . havent researched it yet . Hope some mag gives it out soon as even the size is small

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
But this utility Winux and loadlin is useful only if you have a windows installation which supports real mode DOS. like say Windows95/98.

OP
K

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
helping one group at a time ;) . today win9x tommorow winxp

ok now u got me thinking . is it possible to install freedos in dual boot after installing xp and can this be used to run loadlin / winux ? this way xp users dont have to install 98 to get to run loadlin . if there are alternative ways to boot into linux from xp , other than the bootsect ntldr trick and lilo/grub would be helpful

ujjwal

Padawan
Yup all loadlin boots linux from DOS, so you can install Freedos/msdos witout windows and boot to linux from it. Personally I prefer LILO though ...

As the talk went to Zipslack and slackware .. I haven't tried zipslack/bigslack ... but I have heard that it is a good choice for those who don't want to repartition their hard drive ...

I am really fond of slackware though ... btw 10.1 was just released ... the single installation cd is required for a base linux system, though for KDE and some other apps you need the 2nd CD. AFAIK, This time around they decided to drop Gnome.

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
oh no :( dropping gnome is a big big mistake... i mean kde is too windows-ish and is quite cluttered

gnome is a beauty.. just like mac... no "apply" or "ok" buttons... real time changes....

also gnome is lighter(my experience) than kde... also gnome appears so un-cluttered and well organized... big big mistake :( by slackware :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom