Windows XP with 64MB RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
This is one of those tidbits that have no practical use but may be of academic interest.

When Windows XP came out, most people were running Win 98, ME or 95 on 8-64 MB. 128MB was specified as the minimum required to run XP, but it was quite slow on 128MB, especially if part of that was allocated for display. And a 128MB SDRAM stick cost something like Rs.4000 IIRC.

Not long ago, while trying to pinpoint the defective component in someone else's faulty computer running WinXP, I turned it on with only a single 128MB stick installed after removing the other sticks. It did boot up, but it was so painfully slow that it took a long time to do anything.

I didn't note down the times taken, but it must have been something like 15-20 minutes to boot up and several minutes to open anything. I restarted, went into BIOS and checked to see if I had inadvertently disabled the CPU internal cache memory. But no, everything was normal in BIOS.

When it had finally booted into Windows again, I opened My Computer Properties. (That also took several minutes). Then I saw that it showed only 64MB system RAM, and I woke up. I had completely forgotten that the other 64MB was allocated to the onboard video, leaving only 64MB for the rest of the system.

I restarted and changed the video meory to 8MB, and the computer ran at a much more reasonable speed. Sometimes we find out these things only by accident. I certainly wouldn't knowingly try to boot a WinXP computer with just 64MB.

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
I have used Windows XP on only 64 MB RAM for more then 3 years.
Today i am on XP with 192 MB PC100 SD RAM.

And hoping soon to RUN XP on 2GB RAM by next month. Can't say this time also i might give up upgrade.

Kl@w-24

Slideshow Bob
I used to run XP on 128 MB of SD RAM for quite some time and things weren't that bad. Of course, I turned off all the effects and disabled quite a few services and startup programs. That was the time when I turned towards tweaking my stytem to squeeze out every drop of performance from it. After that, I 'upgraded' to 192 MB of SD RAM and it was pure bliss at that time. My uncle ran XP Home edition on 64MB RAM for nearly 2 years, but it was painfully slow. I actually ran FIFA 2004 on it (onboard Intel 810 gfx) just for the heck of it. Currently on 1.5 gigs of DDR2 RAM, but I still love my XP *gigasmilies.googlepages.com/8.gif Memories.... *gigasmilies.googlepages.com/105.gif

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
I also ran it on 120 MB ram, 8 MB was taken by onboard graphics.
Then later, I added another 256 MB stick & then it was fine.

But 128 MB didn't affect me as I wasn't planning on gaming or multitasking.

saqib_khan

I M A *STAR*
I have used Celeron Proccy with 128 MB SD RAM with 4 MB graphic memory for more then 5 years.

I was dual booting between 98 & XP. My Dad & sis always said that they like only 98. Guess y??? B'cause of the speed.

98 ran smoothly on 128 MB RAM.

But now from some 2 months i m on 2 GB RAM.

Sometimes we too shud think of our past. Beautiful & high end PC's past. lol. :)

kumarmohit

Technomancer
My first computer was having 128 MB DDR RAM. It ran Xp fine. Now I have a desktop with 1GB DDR2 and laptop with 2GB DDR2 RAM, XP flies on both! Since my major use is word processing and forum surfing and email sometimes I think laptop mein itni RAM faltu mein hi lagva li!

maddy_35420

Right off the assembly line
i ran xp for 3 yrs on my celeron proc!.. speed seemed reasonable... till i switched to p4 n 512 mb ram :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom