Windows XP vs Windows Server 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

abhipal

Journeyman
Lately I heard from many people that windows server 2003 is better than Windows XP....

1) It does not slow down.
2) It is more faster.
3) You get more fps if you play in 2003 than in XP.
4) More reliable.

P

priyadarshi

i agree. i'm using server 2003 standard edition on my p3 cpu mhz with no problem it runs faster than any other os i installed earlier.

AshishSharma

Livin' in the ghetto
Windows 2003 is a Server Operating System while Windows XP is a Desktop Operating System.

Server OS are designed for performance and stability while desktop OS are designed for ease of use, good looks and user friendly features.

So comparisons between the two is probably not correct .... nd if speed is all u seek then go for the thinnest Linux Disto and have all ur system resources to spare ....

n2casey

Super Hero - Super Powers
AshishSharma said:
Windows 2003 is a Server Operating System while Windows XP is a Desktop Operating System.

Server OS are designed for performance and stability while desktop OS are designed for ease of use, good looks and user friendly features.

So comparisons between the two is probably not correct .... nd if speed is all u seek then go for the thinnest Linux Disto and have all ur system resources to spare ....
Agree with u. There isn't any comparison btwn both & Ya the thinnest Linux will help to spare resources.

OP
A

abhipal

Journeyman
AshishSharma said:

I also agree with you about the desktop OS but it is not like this that server OS are not for "ease of use, good looks and user friendly features". We can use them on Home PCs also.

P

priyadarshi

I also agree with you about the desktop OS but it is not like this that server OS are not for "ease of use, good looks and user friendly features". We can use them on Home PCs also.

like i use it on my old p3. its better than xp running on my another p4 desktop

dude, in linux you can't play directx games easily :( ppl these days are looking for the best gaming OS to be installed in their PC. Vista is ONLY for DX 10+, as its slow in DX 9 games. So we all fall back to Windows XP, as win 98 and 2000 can't run most of the games. If windows server 2003 is better at gaming, whats wrong with switching to it ?

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
but when i installed 2003 once[2 yrs back], it refused to run some apps and games. It gives an error " this apps is not server compatible" or somethin like that.
Its faster coz it dun have any visuals or eyecandies like in XP. But for certain s/w to run, it nees server liscence or multiple client liscence even for some pirated s/w.

axxo

99.9% Idle
Try Windows 2003 and you will forget xp until you run into compatibility issues later with any of your software.

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
ull get drivers for 2003, if the h/w is from well known brand like asus, MSI, nvidia, ATI etc
but ull heve hard time finding drivers for cheap lan cards and similar peripherals

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
:lol:

Man I cant stop laughing

really sorry...

anyway Windows XP will run as fast as Server 2003 or better when you turn off all needed desktop services to just keep those which comes default with Server 2003...

Server 2003 and Windows Xp are completelly 2 different OS for 2 different purpose... Server do NOT concentrate to provide a better Desktop exp for the end user, therefore all those Resource hungry services which makes you think Slowing windows XP down is by default turned off in Server 2003.. It concentrate more on Background apps and network and Terminal apps and such and such which are needed for a server...

Manually start all those services which is availble on XP, and there you go, you can see Server 2003 is also slowing down like XP...

gcbeldar

In the zone

Man I cant stop laughing

really sorry...

anyway Windows XP will run as fast as Server 2003 or better when you turn off all needed desktop services to just keep those which comes default with Server 2003...

Server 2003 and Windows Xp are completelly 2 different OS for 2 different purpose... Server do NOT concentrate to provide a better Desktop exp for the end user, therefore all those Resource hungry services which makes you think Slowing windows XP down is by default turned off in Server 2003.. It concentrate more on Background apps and network and Terminal apps and such and such which are needed for a server...

Manually start all those services which is availble on XP, and there you go, you can see Server 2003 is also slowing down like XP...

Choto Cheeta Sir,

Suggest me to disable unwanted services in xp.

AshishSharma

Livin' in the ghetto
As I said long back in the thread, a Server operating system is absolutely different from a desktop one and comparison between the two is not justified .... Yes I've myself found Windows Server 2003 performing better bcz it's a server and has been designed for performance whereas Windows XP is a desktop OS designed for rich user experience ... so basically if u strip off all the extra features off XP u get down to the same core features and performance ....

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
Hey Ani, our dear Mr. Vista is also writting good tutorials on making your Xp faster :D

here is what he was talking about.. *www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm and *www.blackviper.com/WinXP/supertweaks.htm

Guys go through his tutorial here :D

*www.askvg.com/master-tutorial-to-make-your-windows-xp-super-fast/
*www.askvg.com/category/windows-xp/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom