Windows XP SP3 to arrive before Longhorn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sourabh

Laptoping
Windows XP SP3 to arrive before Longhorn

"A blog filing hidden away in the cobwebbed corners of the web suggests that Windows XP SP3 will hit before Longhorn does. The blog is written by the guys at F-Secure. The information was handed out by Steve Ballmer, and the event was Surfa Lugnt, also known as Swedish National Data Security Day.

Ballmer allegedly also said that IE7 would have anti-phishing technology built in.

No-one really knows what SP3 will contain. It probably can't contain anything huge, since the next wave of upgrades due to be ported back to XP - the Aero UI, the file system and the like - won't be done until Longhorn is done. It seems likely that it will just be IE7 and some security features.

The comments come after Bill Gates mentioned at WinHEC that Longhorn would definitely be done by the end of 2006. We'd estimate that they clearly don't anticipate it getting done much before that."

The Inquirer

ShekharPalash

Web Entrepreneur
Hmm... good info... i thot they not gonna do SP3... and now if they're doing.... nothing gonna special in it... all monthly security updates... IE7.... and may be if they ... then Windows AntiSpyware !!??

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
lol.... i told ya... longhorn ain't coming before Q2, 2007... the sp3 is more of a cover up for the delays in longhorn... looking at build 5048... it hardly looks complete which it should when according to the schedule, the BETA release is 2-3 months away.

Add to it, the claims by M$ that one-third of the features aren't incorporated in build 5048 which indirectly means they aren't complete :)

Now its any1z guess....

[edited]

Kannan

In the zone
Anxious to see what more features, SP3 is going to add to Windows XP *members.shaw.ca/wenpigs/excited/hyper.gif

Kannan*members.shaw.ca/wenpigs/misc/drive1.gif

sreevirus

Certified Nutz
mail2and said:
Add to it, the claims by M$ that one-third of the features aren't incorporated in build 5048 which indirectly means they aren't complete Smile
hmmm...i dont care if the final version is released a bit late. if the preview is this good, then i can only imagine what the final product will be like. i'm surely gonna purchase a copy of LH when it releases.

grinning_devil

Cyborg Agent
i hope mail2and that ur not using ny M$ produc ... rite ??? i think when ur soooo much against M$ nd such a BIG fan for apple ... its apparent that ur not using ny micorost product!!!

nd as sree said ... irrespective of the amount of bugs ppl encounter,viri problesm,etc...etc...ppl r still waiting "anxiously" for the latest version to come out. ... !! nd i'll be surely going in for LH as soon as it releases ..!!!

navjotjsingh

Wise Old Owl
I don't think SP3 will ever see the day light. There are many theories supporting this. Since Longhorn had such a big hype they can't delay it so long for SP3, move which will tarnish their reputation and cost them a loss of millions. Also there is nothing left to integrate in SP3. All they can put into it are some patches or Win XP AntiSpyware tools. Not viable. Also SP2 was so widely published and for SP3 even a bigger hype would cause them a loss. Imagine MS distributing free SP2 cd's all over the world - its 9 months.

Totally unfeasible for SP3 to be released. If at all it releases it will only contain all the patches and will not be hyped and may include IE7.0 beta if at all they plan to hype it even.

Does not look a possibility to me as they arer trying their heads over Longhorn final release and its beat due this year.

Kannan

In the zone
navjotjsingh said:
I don't think SP3 will ever see the day light. There are many theories supporting this. Since Longhorn had such a big hype they can't delay it so long for SP3

Its not necessary for everybody to buy Longhorn. *members.shaw.ca/wenpigs/yes_no/no3.gif

But I think SP3 if it comes will have just patches and some additionals. *members.shaw.ca/wenpigs/yes_no/yes2.gif

digen

Youngling
I don't think SP3 will ever see the day light. There are many theories supporting this. Since Longhorn had such a big hype they can't delay it so long for SP3, move which will tarnish their reputation and cost them a loss of millions.

What difference will a service pack make to the arrival of a complete new OS.[From the fact that its still in alpha stage the new features that they claim may not be a part of the final product later]
I dont see a thing in it.I believe it will include just patches & security updates along with few new additions like IE7 or something else maybe.
But as far as hampering the sales of longhorn,I dont see that happening.Maybe thats just me.

rajas

In the zone
good to hear the news, but sad that it has no new goodies in it.

some security updates(released after August, '04) + IE7(or its roots or somethin like tat) in SP3 will not send the impact as Longhorn will do. Letz wish that this stint of MS will be a sucess as SP2.

@grinning_devil: ur rite mentioning tat, no matter how many bugs it contain, no.of times it might be targeted by virus, everyone is awaiting for LH release.
Needless to say, critics are the first one waiting for the release than the fan's of Windows.
sorry for duplicate posts. last few days digit forum is taking time when posting. yesterday there was phpbb critical error coming up. so thought it was my system problem and was trying to post several times.
Mods, plz delete duplicate posts of mine

dude, its not my way of increasing the post count. phbb critical error caused a small confusion with posts hence duplicate posts.
Also, every novice in this forum need not be a novice in his life in computer or IT

@digen: I wish and hope SP3 should never be released. but Steve making a note regards to SP3 might send a wave across the XP users.

shwetanshu

Cyborg Agent
rajas same post 4 times??? *members.shaw.ca/wenpigs/surprised/jawdrop.gif*members.shaw.ca/wenpigs/surprised/new_shocked.gif

T

Tux

Yeah. MS isdelaying LONGHORN. but the pirated version
is available, i think

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom