Windows XP SP3 Final Dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
Did any body download and install Windows XP SP3 Final? Few days back it was available in vnunet.com and some other popular websites. I immediately downloaded it from vnunet.com and installed it. But suddenly the download page is deleted now! My Computer says Windows SP3 is installed successfully. And it's working pretty well. The main question arises from comments that was in that page. Some guys reported that it is not a final version. Vnunet gave a clarification that it was the Final version released to manufacturing. It seemed correct because recently Microsoft has reported that they have released Final version for manufacturer's. But deletion of the page from vnunet.com have put me in dilemma.

Check this page deleted: *www.google.co.in/search?hl=en&q=windows+xp+sp3+vnunet&meta=

Google says page was available but it's deleted.

akshaykapoor_3

Journeyman
Yes the file was available for download but Microsoft further delayed the release of XP SP3 on windows update and Download Centre. It was released to PC manufacturers and afterwards a glitch was uncovered. May be thats why the site owners are now waiting for a final release from Microsoft and they removed the earlier release info.

(this is what i think)

OP
Kiran.dks

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
UPDATE: Yep. The bug was compatibility issues linked between the SP3 and Microsoft Dynamics Retail Management System Application software. Microsoft has warned those running Microsoft Dynamics RMS not to install Windows XP SP3 or Vista SP1.

For me it's working well, becoz I don't use RMS.

victor_rambo

हॉर्न ओके प्लीज़
Ok, I have the SP3 Release candidate that I got on March 2008 DVD. Should I install it?
I know its a RC but I cannot download that big amount!

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
@rohan, If everything is working fine on your PC, there is no need to install RC edition of SP3. Wait for SP3's final release and then try it.

Don't try to fix that ain't broke.

OP
Kiran.dks

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
Ok, I have the SP3 Release candidate that I got on March 2008 DVD. Should I install it?
I know its a RC but I cannot download that big amount!

It's better to wait a few days more and go for Final version. And don't worry about downloading. I think Digit will give it on the CD.

Mine is a different story. I installed it before the incompatibility issue (refer my previous post) was discovered.

victor_rambo

हॉर्न ओके प्लीज़
@rohan, If everything is working fine on your PC, there is no need to install RC edition of SP3. Wait for SP3's final release and then try it.

Don't try to fix that ain't broke.
Y, I had forgotten that all is fine here :p

It's better to wait a few days more and go for Final version. And don't worry about downloading. I think Digit will give it on the CD.

Mine is a different story. I installed it before the incompatibility issue (refer my previous post) was discovered.
hmmm....will wait for it!

Pathik

Google Bot
Actually I m running SP3 RC and hav had no problems yet. You may as well go ahead and give a try.

dheeraj_kumar

Legen-wait for it-dary!
I noticed while using SP3 RC that its very slightly faster than SP2. Or maybe its just me. Because my friend reported nothing had changed. I found programs starting up a little faster than they used to, especially heavy programs like 3DS, Cinema 4D, All Adobe applications, games etc. I am yet to take a look at the SP3 overview, to know what has exactly changed.

By the way, the final would be released on Windows Update, and MS's download page in the first week of may. Confirmed.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
I got it installed, i download it directly from Microsoft.com
felt no difference, its just the built number & about dialog box
*www.imgx.org/thumbs/large/16191_vy2ho/win_sp3.PNG

tinku dhar

In the zone
Well ... ,

wats new in SP3 ? i got XP SP2 sooo lemme know y this SP3 coming ? nything new ? i mean new in low memory usage etc etc :p

holla back !!

The one thing that i noticed is that SP3 has solved a bug present somewhere in XPSP2 startup sequence which causes it to take ages to load on some old motherboards, specially the VIA chipset ones. I unfortunately have a board like that and now the startup is a 2-3 min process. Earlier it took around 8-10 mins. :-| That might be not much important for most people since the problem was with older boards, but for me, it has helped greatly.

OP
Kiran.dks

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
Another advantage of installing Windows XP SP3 is reduction in Start-up and Shut down time. It has improved considerably.

xp sp3 is nothing but a pack of updates that were released after SP2.

Not completely true. It includes Updates after SP2 + Few performance enhancements.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
Another advantage of installing Windows XP SP3 is reduction in Start-up and Shut down time. It has improved considerably.

Not completely true. It includes Updates after SP2 + Few performance enhancements.
Depends, i didn't see any change here.
Perhaps, my system may be already have been optimized using various tools & tricks.

Overall, Franky as a average user i didn't see any change.

Pathik

Google Bot
Yep. SP3 does feel faster on my aging pc. Boot times hav decreased slightly. Though if you hav a monster rig, you may not feel any difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom