WINDOWS XP SERVICE PACK 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

neeravkothari

Broken In
:arrow: like sp1 is sp2 available for all suers or its only for techies and developers?
:arrow: like sp1 and sp1a are there different versions in sp2 too
:arrow: can i install sp2 without installing sp1? will sp2 does sp2 eliminate the need for downloading sp1?
:idea: thanks in advance!

ice

In the zone
I dont think sp2 final is out.. so it may have a few buggs

Nope as of now there is some rc or some version like that.

i dont think sp2 can be installed without installing sp1.

Sp1 is needed to install sp2.

theraven

Technomancer
i agree with ice
as for different versions in sp2 ... well we'll just have to wait and see when its released on the SAID date of 15th august

delhibhai1000

Journeyman
sp2 installs without the need to install sp1...
right now there is only the sp2 rc2 thats avlbl fer download-just go to filemirrors.com...omn the front page they hav loisted sp2 as top 10 d/l

its a 270mb d/l

theraven

Technomancer
????
how is that possible ?
sp2 doesnt contain the files sp1 does
u need sp1 before u install sp2 ...
i dunno abt the rc2 ... but atleast for the final im pretty sure ull need it..
unless ofcourse u have all the updates .... maybe thats the difference

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
u need sp1 before u install sp2 ...
Thats not true .. All Service packs are cumulative .. that is they contain all the previous patches relesed .. So you dont need to have SP1 installed for SP2 to work ...

theraven

Technomancer
so basically sp1a was say 128 mb ?
and since sp2 is 270 mb as of now ... so it contains only 142 mb of new updates ??

Ya I agree with it_waaznt_me.
Like for instance Windows NT had till SP6, so one need not install Sp1 to SP6, just simply install SP6.

Also about SP1 & SP1a... Just soon after the release of SP1 Microsoft had some conflit or something do with SUN-MICRO systems (Makers of Java) So Microsoft release a new version ie SP1a without java runtime files. This new release was out in just 2-3 months after SP1 was released..

Well I have install SP2 RC2.. till now i have not come accross any bugs, the SP2 RC2 installs additional componets that where missing in SP1 release,
1.DirectX 9.0c (Now tho u can download it from Microsoft.com)
2.Windows Media 9 (I think the new final release will inc Media 10)
3.Movi-maker 2
4.All new sets of updated drivers. atleast for nVIDIA driver vr 56.73~

I think Microsoft is waiting for Windows Media 10 bug fixes so that it can inc all together in one pack.. So V can expect a release by MID-AUG 04. :wink:

BAD news for Pirated Windows XP owners

Service Pack 2 RC2 tho can be installed with ease with regular Product-Keys but when it comes to updating Windows XP from windowsupdate site (NOTE: WINDOWS UPDATE SITE HAS CHANGED TO SOME NEW VERSION, it can update multiple Microsoft products at same time) it scans my one's PC & compare the Product-Key & check the Validity from there database & doom.. It come out with an error "INVALID PRODUCT KEY". don't worry you can still use ur copy of WinXP but without updates..

Kl@w-24

Slideshow Bob
So what about those who were using pirated versions of XP and installed SP1 using a key changer (they now hv a valid key and product ID u know) ?

wORm

Journeyman
MS keeps updating its database with massively misused keys and blacklists them, your key worked for SP1, but probably won't work for SP2.

Kl@w-24

Slideshow Bob
My key isn't 'massively misused'. A key generator came up with it after >50 tries and the key works only on my machine !!

G

gxsaurav

Then U won't have any trouble KLAW, just do not post the key on internet

G

gxsaurav

Also look in the general section, my post about the banned product keys, if your is in there then U R out of luck

wORm

Journeyman
Kl@w-24, a way to verify whether your key is valid, is to visit windowsupdate.com (version 5) and try to update your machine. If your key is recognised as "invalid" then you should avoid installing SP2.

Humm ya I agree to wORm.

But one que can v use windowsupdate.com (Version 5) without installing SP2.. I don't knw because i am using SP2 for long time..

dileepkv

Right off the assembly line
neerav,
every new service pack released by microsoft is complete in itself.
so the sp2 contains all the fixes(patches) in service pack 1a plus latest fixes and some additional functionalities. you dont need to install sp1a for installing sp2. microsoft has released only the beta version of this pack. there is a good possibility of sp2 having a few bugs in it as microsoft warns users not to use it in productive environments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom