Windows XP on SATA HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

bsb

Broken In
hi all!

I assembled a new PC (Athlon 2800, ASUS-7N8X-Dlx board, 512 MB DDR-400). I have installed a SATA hard disk (80 GB Samsung). Windows 98 has been sucessfully installed. The problem started when I tried to install XP.

The XP CD I have, is not bootable and the setup doesn't run on DOS. You have to boot in Win98 and then start installing XP. I have done it on my earlier machine with IDE disk.

The XP setup wizard copies the required files from CD but when it restarts the system for installation, it gives a big error message. which goes like this...

A problem has been detected and windows has been shutdown to prevent damage to your computer.

check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controller. check the disk for damages etc...etc...

Technical information
0x0000007B (0xF898963C, 0xC0000035, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Scandisk doesn't show any problem with Harddisk. many of you might have installed XP on SATA disks. Can somebody please help.

BSB

JAK

What the Heck !
bsb said:
hi all!

I assembled a new PC (Athlon 2800, ASUS-7N8X-Dlx board, 512 MB DDR-400). I have installed a SATA hard disk (80 GB Samsung). Windows 98 has been sucessfully installed. The problem started when I tried to install XP.

The XP CD I have, is not bootable and the setup doesn't run on DOS. You have to boot in Win98 and then start installing XP. I have done it on my earlier machine with IDE disk.

the Xp CD u hav is a Pirated version if I aint wrong..... :wink:
Assuming that u have forgotten ur Bios password(just assuming..lol :lol: ) and thats why u cannot boot with ur Org winXP CD and ur Bios has the default boot settings (floppy -- HDD )
Here is what u need to do
#1 Make a Win98 Boot Disk(Floppy)
#2 Bootup using the Disk(Floppy)
#3 Load CDROM support while booting
#4 Insert ur XP CD in the drive and go to "CDROM:\i386" folder..then type
"winnt.exe" without the Quotes

Reg. the error u r encountering is due to the fact that u have not loaded ur SATA controller drivers....u need to press F6 during the setup to load ur SATA drivers through a floppy(u will find these drivers in ur mobrd Driver CD.... :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom