Windows XP on an Intel Mac Contest Won -- Solution Posted

Status
Not open for further replies.

soham

In the zone
The contest is now officially over

*images.dailytech.com/nimage/792_xpmac.jpg

So it's official. A programmer named Blanka was able to get past all of the EFI issues and has provided a working solution to natively run Windows XP on an a Mac. The programmer can now claim the $13,854 prize thanks to his video of the installation and booting of Microsoft's ubiquitous OS on an Intel-based iMac. Winxponmac.com posted this on its site:

Contest has been won. All further donations will go into an account to sustain the open source project that will be launched with the initial solution

You can head on over to Engadget to see a 7.7MB video of Windows XP on a Mac.

For those of you unfamiliar with the contest, here were the rules for $13k prize:

1. Instructions must boot Windows XP (at least), not Vista or any other version of Windows.
2. Windows must be able to coexist with Mac OS X and each system may not interfere with the operation of the other (basically a traditional dual boot system where one OS is running at a time)
3. Your method, upon starting the computer, must offer the user to boot either OS X or Windows XP (hint: GRUB / LILO)

Source: Dailytech

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
hmmmm Steve jobs has lot of thinking to do now to save mac users from this .

OP
soham

soham

In the zone
I don't think steve jobs is goin 2 be unhappy as he has himself mentioned that he doesnot have any problem if anyone tries to install xp on a mac. moreover it will lead to increase in sales of mac.

d

Journeyman
WOW !!! now MACS r gonna break into the world . now can anybody run MacOS for intel macs on a ibm pc clone? mebbe we can start a new contest for that .. i'm prepared to put up .. wht did they start wid? 5$? :lol:

jamyang312

Journeyman
they are to be called adventurous not fools.
as for myself, i am not a fool for trying win xp on a mac n when did i say that i love windows.
nay, i rather prefer mac than xp and am trying it on a mac for the sake of fun and adventure of doing something different.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
ya on that I agree but if it werent for the prize I wudnt try that coz I have had enough trouble seeing windows all these yrs and If I get a mac there is no lookin back...

hafees

In the zone
Now A mac user can play most of the games...

Windows XP for Games
Mac OS for productive works. It will be nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom