Windows XP & NTFS

Status
Not open for further replies.

enjoy

Journeyman
For some reasons I need to format my Windows XP SP2 Box. But I have a dilema that some of my partitions are on NTFS and some on FAT32.

If I format Windows will then I be able to acess the NTFS partitions.. I guess not.. Then how should I go about it.

alib_i

Cyborg Agent
firstly .. your problem isnt clear.
from what i understand .. you are going to format your system drive ( C: or whatever ) and rest all drives wont be affected.
if that's the case ... then read on :::-

if you install XP again .. then no problems.

if you install win98 .. then
1. the root drive ( which has windows folder ) should be in FAT32.
2. you can access your NTFS drives from win98 using NTFS for Windows 98 ( but it will be read-only )

lastly ..
you can convert NTFS to FAT32 using PartitionMagic ( 6.0 or above versions, present version is 8.0 )

-----
alibi

OP
E

enjoy

Journeyman
Thanx.. I was worried about the permissions and all.. since similar case happened with my friend who was unable to access his NTFS partitions after a reinstall. XP just gave the message "Access Denied"..

Then I think I should play safe... first convert the partitions to FAT32 and then reinstall XP.

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
I suggest u dont do that! Cause the conversion from NTFS to FAT32 via partition magic is not that reliable and will make the hard disk slower. U can set permissions as u wish even after formatting. And if u havent messed up with permissions, u should not face a problem at all!

iinfi

mekalodu
i think b4 formatting if u remove the passwords of all logins of windows XP and make all passwords,including Administrator, BLANK then u wont have that NTFS "access denied" problem after reinstallation ...

theraven

Technomancer
xp didnt access NTFS ?
thats jsut weird
anyways ... use the following code AT THE COMMAND PROMPT to convert all fat32 partitions to NTFS
i suggest u do this and keep all partitions as ntfs

Code:
convert x: /fs:ntfs

where x: is ur drive letter
just in case it asks u that drive should be dismounted , click no
next it'll ask to be able to run on next start
choose yes and restart
repeat for each fat32 partition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom