Windows XP GUI for Linux x86!

Status
Not open for further replies.

praka123

left this forum longback
It's a complete desktop environment for Linux on x86. It tries to make easier for Windows XP users to use a Linux box. Nothing more, no clipboard compatibility between Gtk and Qt applications, no emulation of Windows applications, no unification on the widgets of X applications, just a desktop environment.
Get it Here!
Hope this is not an Old News :) AND its a Beta software not ready for full use!.

*img519.imageshack.us/img519/6130/startmenu1un.th.png

tech_your_future said:
evildeadregeneration said:
Good ....But how to download???Can u PM me the directlink?????
Download the packages from here *www.xpde.com/releases.php

I saw it.But it has 6 file's.which file i have to download (All????)And all the file's are in tar.gz type.How to make as bootable one???I am using xp with suse linux........Help me out.

naveenchandran

In the zone
It says....

"Each package contains binaries and sources,decompress the package and read the INSTALL file for general installation instructions"

devarajan

Journeyman
tech_your_future said:
No install file can be found? Did anyone find one? I feel the forum is more explainatory.

U r correct .@ prakash kerala what do say?how do u download and install it????

OP
praka123

praka123

left this forum longback
I should have posted it as a beta s/w.anyways i installed Xpde and successfully entered into it in my Fedora 4.only thing works in this DE is terminal only!.but you may customise it.
@devarajan:
Yes.I downloaded this:
*www.xpde.com/releases/xpde-0.5.1.tar.gz
followed howto in their forum:
This install guide is designed for Windows users who are new to linux, and want to install XPde on Fedora Core 4. This guide assumes you are running Fedora's default desktop installation with the Gnome interface.

Warning: once you successfully install XPde, you will find that it is not ready for production use. In fact, it's only at the "proof of concept" stage of development. Yes, there is a desktop, yes there are icons and a start menu. But most features do not work out of the box. In the display properties, for example, you can change the wallpaper, but all other features are not yet implemented. The only desktop icon to work natively is the command prompt. The Internet Browser icon crashes the shell. Some users have achieved more success, but only after performing major surgery to the installation.

Before you begin
If you have tried the other solutions which involved editing code, do your best to undo your work. If you run into trouble after performing the following installation steps, you probably need to do a fresh install of Fedora, and then start here.

Don't worry about finding or creating .xinitrc files or discovering that you don't have a Sessions folder. These other instructions are bogus and do not apply.

If you are upgrading from a previous version, you should remove the old version before installing 0.5.1. Delete the /usr/share/xpde folder, and the .xpde folder in your Home folder. (Hint: just open the Home icon from the desktop, and choose "Show Hidden Files" from the view menu to see the .xpde folder.)

Suggestion: enable the File Browser. It's much friendlier and Explorer-like than the default Gnome mac-classic-like browser. Go to the Fedora menu, choose Desktop, Preferences, File Management. Go to the Behavior tab and enable "Always open in browser windows." This will force the Computer and Home desktop icons to open to the full-featured File Browser.

----

Installation

1. Download the 0.5.1 release package
Using Firefox, download the 0.5.1 package, and open it with the default package viewer. Extract the package to the /usr/share folder. (Hint: when using the folder browser to select the destination folder, hightlight but do not enter the share folder. The selected folder is assumed to be the destination folder in Gnome.)

2. Create a desktop xsession file
This file tells the system that there is another shell available. Open a text editor (usually by going to the Fedora menu, Accessories, Text Editor) and paste the following text:

Code:
Code:
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Type=XSession
Exec=/usr/share/xpde/bin/startxpde
Name=XPde
Comment=The XPde Desktop Environment

Save the file as /usr/share/xsessions/XPde.desktop. (Hint: linux is case sensitive. "XP" is uppercase, "de.desktop" is lowercase.) Leave the text editor open.

3. Set executable permissions on the desktop xsession file
Next, open the Computer icon on the desktop, or the File Browser (Fedora menu, system tools, File Browser) and navigate to /usr/share/xsessions. Right-click on the XPde file, and choose Properties. In the properties window, go to the Permissions tab and enable execute permissions for all groups.

4. Disable SElinux
SElinux is a security add-on that often interferes with shared library execution, and is usually the cause of the "your session lasted less than 10 seconds" error. Fedora installation enables SElinux by default, so you probably need to turn it off. Go back to the text editor and open /etc/selinux/config. Change the entry for "SELINUX=enforcing" to "SELINUX=disabled". Save and close the config file.

5. Reboot and select the XPde session
In the Fedora menu, select log out, and choose Restart the Computer. When Fedora restarts to the login screen, go to the Sessions menu at the bottom-left of the screen. Click and choose "XPde" from the pop-up window. Then login with your usual credentials.

----
read here
i selected XPde from sessions menu of gdm login screen.
below is my screen shot.

*img291.imageshack.us/img291/971/scrnshot0ua.th.png

Satissh S

Youngling
No!! Nothing works, Seems like a big BETA Flop., Total rip off. When i click on the start menu like thing it disappears quickly and nothin seem to happen.

devarajan

Journeyman
Satissh S said:
No!! Nothing works, Seems like a big BETA Flop., Total rip off. When i click on the start menu like thing it disappears quickly and nothin seem to happen.

IS'T???? :shock: :shock: THANK'S. i had a thought of downloading it.I had Put off my idea... :p

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Too bad. They should work hard on bringing this project to track. The look may get some newbies to linux. And they must definitely improve the system of installation and make it simple enought for newbies or it defeats the whole purpose it was made for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom