Windows XP displaying different processor speeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abhijit_T

Journeyman
Hi
I have a Dell Inspiron laptop with an Intel Pentium 4 Processor with Speedstep Technology 2.8Ghz/1.6Ghz
That is, the processor can operate on two different speeds depending on the application requirements
Until recently, both System Information and System Properties showed the correct processor speeds(ie-2.8 Ghz when lot of activity going on, and 1.6 Ghz when the computer is idle)
Then, one day, unfortunately, I dropped my laptop. There was no damage as such, and everything was working fine
But now, when the laptop is running on batteries, System Information shows 2.8Ghz and 1.6 Ghz respectively for max. activity and idle conditions, but System Properties shows only 1.6 Ghz and 797 Mhz for max. activity and idle conditions respectively
This problem persists only when I'm on batteries, and everything is normal when plugged in

I'm pretty certain Windows used to display the correct processor speeds before I dropped my laptop, even when running on batteries

What I would like to know is - Should I be worried? Does Sys. Info display the correct processor speed, or does Sys. Properties?

How is it that System Properties displays speeds as low as 797 Mhz instead of 1.6 Ghz, after I dropped my laptop?

madman123

Broken In
well, one possibily is that somehow setting got reset and the laptop enters a battery save mode while using the batt. this means that its cuts performance even more. While my laptop doesn't have speedstep, i do notice that it runs slower with battery while playing. So try to find those settings. If i'm wrong there u should call Dell, just to make sure that nothing is really wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom