Windows Xp correpted : hangs on booting

Status
Not open for further replies.

saurabh kakkar

D i s t i n c t l y Ahead
Hi
My windows xp have suddenly stopped booting it hangs on booting At the time of booting scroll bar keeps on moving and moving also i have notices that there comes a "tick" sound when the scroll bar is moving and scrolling resumes after a pause.
This "tick" sound keeps coming after 4 or 4 sec again and halts the booting process

I m not able to boot in safe mode also

Actually some one in my home directly switched off computer after that this problem arrived :(

I have windows 98 nd ubuntu installed and they r working perfectly

plz help me to solve this problem WITHOUT affecting my other O.S

Batistabomb

Deadman Walking
do you recently installed any new hardware devices like RAM, modems, lan cards, sound cards,vgs cards e.t.c; before this problem occurs

OP
saurabh kakkar

saurabh kakkar

Batistabomb said:
do you recently installed any new hardware devices like RAM, modems, lan cards, sound cards,vgs cards e.t.c; before this problem occurs
Nop nothing

**** man i have lost my windows xp nd 98 boots completely
i tried doing this :
Code:
Attrib -H -R -S C:\Boot.ini
Del C:\Boot.ini
BootCfg /Rebuild
Fixboot

my system hanged at :BootCfg /Rebuild after that "tick" sound

Now i m getting this message
Code:
Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll.
Please re-install a copy of the above file.

I m not able to do the BootCfg /Rebuild as my system hangs

someone plz help i m left with only one working O.S linux (ubuntu)

Last edited:

vandit

In the zone
Pop in the winxp setup disc...And go to repair mode and repair the xp..After that entr fixboot and fixmbr cmds in the cmd prompt.

nach p

Journeyman
if possible attach u r hdd to some other place wer xp or 98 is installed then copy missing files manually from cds.

boot into recovery console using the XP cd or from your hdd, if you have it installed, and then run chkdsk /p /r <winpartition>. This is nothing serious just a file system error. you can try first without hte /r option also, it will make the process faster and if the problem is only in logical filesystem structure, it will be removed. however, if there is a bad sector on your drive then it won't solve your problem. in that case run chkdsk with /p and /r options.

OP
saurabh kakkar

saurabh kakkar

^^ thanks for the input but when i try chkdsk with /p and /r or simply chkdsk my system hangs at 0% completed
what can i do now ?
EDIT
just now i have checked my hdd D: (Xp is installed on this partion) using Scandisk .it hanged on 9% when it was checking Directory Structure with constant "tick" sound rest partions(c,e,f) showed no errors.

So i think D: have got some bad sectors now thye problem is how to recover as Scandisk hangs nd i have only ubuntu (linux) installed

Last edited:
That means there is a bad sector. Harddisk can take a hell lot of time to get repaired, but if it hangs for more than 2-3 hours then you have a problem. Although you have to keep an eye on your screen coz when Xp repairs a bad sector it resets the disk check from zero% so may thats why you are getting it for so long. But is that isn't the case, your best bet is to try running windows setup and Fully formatting (not quick format) the disk during it, either on your computer or on any other. If you do it on somebody elses computer, just format only. Dont install XP there, it wont boot on your pc them, unless both the systems are of exact identical config.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom