Windows XP 64 bit Edition

AMD or Intel

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

hcp006sl

Journeyman
I don't know when full version would be available. Still you can download or order a CD of beta version trial.
But, one thing for sure if you talk about the 64-bit processor - I must prefer AMD. There is a problem with Intel - Windows XP Professional x64 Edition cannot be successfully installed on 64-bit Intel Itanium-based systems.

rajas

In the zone
Hey I got my full version of TechNet Volume Licensed Windows XP Professional x64 Edition. I think its RTM was in April. Check availability in Indian market.

hcp006sl

Journeyman
rajas said:
Hey I got my full version of TechNet Volume Licensed Windows XP Professional x64 Edition. I think its RTM was in April. Check availability in Indian market.

How to obtain Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
1. Buy a new computer:
Windows XP Professional x64 Edition is only available from Microsoft manufacturer partners—such as Dell, HP, and IBM—as part of a new computer. There isn't a stand-alone retail version. System builders will offer the new version of the OS with new systems or, for customers who build their own computers, with a qualifying hardware purchase. An MSDN version is available to developers.
2. trade in & trade out:
If you've already bought x64-capable hardware that you're using to run 32-bit Windows XP Professional, you'll have the option to trade in that copy of Windows XP Professional for a copy of Windows XP Professional x64 Edition. Check the Technology Advancement Program to find more information about this program.
Whatever version of Windows XP Professional x64 Edition you use, however, it will only be available as a fresh install. There is no provision for an upgrade from Windows XP Professional. If you're running Windows XP Home Edition and have x64 hardware, you can move to Windows XP Professional x64 Edition when it's available. But you'll need to upgrade from Windows XP Home Edition to Windows XP Professional Edition first.

Running 32-bit applications
32-bit applications running in the WOW64 subsystem provide a highly-compatible, high-performance environment for the thousands of existing 32-bit applications. 32-bit applications are installed into the Program Files (x86) directory structure, and have separate hives in the registry to prevent problems.

Applications running in the WOW64 system on Windows XP Professional x64 Edition each have a full 4 GB of virtual memory space. Applications compiled to take advantage of the /3 GB switch will actually get 4 GB, without constraining the operating system at all, since it is running in the 8 terabytes of virtual address space that Windows XP Professional x64 Edition has for the system processes. This can have a substantial impact on memory-constrained applications, such as computer-aided design (CAD) and computer-aided manufacturing (CAM), even before a 64-bit version of the program is available.

Key differences
When moving to Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, you need to understand some key differences. The most important is that there is no support for legacy MS-DOS and 16-bit applications. If you have an older application that runs in MS-DOS mode or is a 16-bit application, you shouldn't move to Windows XP Professional x64 Edition until you can either update or replace the application.

For more click here.

rajas

In the zone
Thanks for the Info HCP.

Windows XP Professional x64 Edition is only available from Microsoft manufacturer partners—such as Dell, HP, and IBM—as part of a new computer. There isn't a stand-alone retail version. System builders will offer the new version of the OS with new systems or, for customers who build their own computers, with a qualifying hardware purchase. An MSDN version is available to developers

rajas

In the zone
Intel Proc's are available with 64-bit computing.

Intel® Extended Memory 64 TechnologyΦ (Intel® EM64T) enables
64-bit computing on the server/workstation and desktop platforms when combined with supporting software.

Rite now the proc's which support 64-bit computing from Intel are Xeon with EM64T and Pentium 4 with EM64T

Chk the link for More info: Intel® Extended Memory 64 Technology

hcp006sl

Journeyman
Sreekanth V said:
Will it work with the upcoming Intel 64 bit processors ? Or is it for AMD only ?

Microsoft publicly released Windows XP Professional x64 Edition on April 30, 2005. This version of Windows XP Professional is the first designed specifically to work with x64 PCs.

The biggest difference between x64 and other 64-bit processors is that x64 processors are compatible at the hardware level with 32-bit, x86 processors. There are currently two basic x64 processor families:
• AMD's amd64
• Intel's EM64T

From AMD, this includes the Athlon 64, Athlon 64 FX, Mobile Athlon 64, Turion 64, and Opteron processors. From Intel, this includes the Xeon with EM64T and Pentium 4 with EM64T processors. The two architectures are binary compatible, allowing Windows XP Professional x64 Edition to use a single version to support both.

For more click here.

Sreekanth V

Journeyman
Thank you for the detailed info.
One more doubt , will 32 bit programs work faster on this Windows. Also can I run 16 bit programs in it. Some useful but old CDs(some training programs and teaching programs) I have had contains 16 bit applications. So I can't avoid them. Will there be any compatibility to those programs.

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
32 bit programs will take a very small (around 5%) perf hit because of the emulation layer.
I had XP x64 edition installed but I had one queer issue. Even though cpu utilization was 1%, my proc temp would show a 100% utilization temp.

hcp006sl

Journeyman
Sreekanth V said:
will 32 bit programs work faster on this Windows. Also can I run 16 bit programs in it.

WindowsXP x64 is not for you. Why?
  • There is no support for legacy MS-DOS and 16-bit applications. If you have an older application that runs in MS-DOS mode or is a 16-bit application, you shouldn't move to Windows XP Professional x64 Edition until you can either update or replace the application.
  • Some 32-bit applications have 16-bit installation programs. Many of these will not install on Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, since 16-bit applications are not supported. However, some will work because Windows will transparently substitute the 32-bit version of the installer in the background.

Running 64-bit and 32-bit applications side-by-side
With Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, you can run both 64-bit and 32-bit applications side by side. Your existing 32-bit applications run in WOW64, while the 64-bit applications run natively. This makes it easy to transition to 64-bit applications at your pace—only moving when you're ready. You can even run 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the same application in Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, allowing you to evaluate the new version of an existing application and transition at a controlled pace.

source: *www.microsoft.com/

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
Now that vista is coming out, what do you guys think will happen to x64 windows?
My guess is that, more conservative 64-bit machines (low config) will run the x64 bit windowswhile the hight-end 64bit machines will run vista. Or can vista be configured for low config s/m s (i.e, without 3d desktop and animations, etc)?

hcp006sl

Journeyman
Whis is the ideal OS for a x64 system?

First of all you should know the working principle of your x64 system, i.e.,whether a 32-bit OS is running on it without emulation or not.

If you think about AMD64 architecture, then I can tell you that only the AMD64 architecture is built as a set of logical extensions to the familiar 32-bit x86 instruction set. So, it can run both 32-bit and 64-bit applications directly, without emulation, at the same time in separate processes. Perhaps most notably, existing 32-bit operating systems and code will run natively, and at full speed, on an AMD64 processor. All of the benefits of 64-bit computing, but the full-speed legacy code compatibility and an easier learning curve than with any other platform—AMD64 sounds like a winner.

According to AMD, on 32-bit applications, AMD expects it to outperform competing PC processors on industry-standard benchmarks. AMD expects 64-bit application performance to be even higher.

But, in general Microsoft has something to tell us. According to them, —
The top 5 reasons to get to Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
  1. High performance platform for the next generation of applications
    Windows XP Professional x64 Edition is a rich platform that enables the next generation of high-performance computing. 64-bit native applications can deliver more data per clock cycle, making them run faster and more efficiently.
  2. Large memory support
    Windows XP Professional x64 Edition supports up to 128 gigabytes (GB) of RAM and 16 terabytes of virtual memory, enabling applications to run faster when working with large data sets. Applications can preload substantially more data into virtual memory, allowing rapid access by the 64-bit processor.
  3. Flexibility
    Windows XP Professional x64 Edition provides a rich platform to integrate 64-bit applications and existing 32-bit applications using the Windows on Windows 64 (WOW64) x86 emulation layer, providing customers with the ability to move to 64-bit computing without having to sacrifice their existing investment in 32-bit software and Windows expertise.
  4. Multiprocessing and multicore
    Windows XP Professional x64 Edition is designed to support up to two single or multicore x64 processors for maximum performance and scalability.
  5. Same programming model
    Developers with 32-bit skills will be comfortable and quickly productive in the 64-bit Windows environment, finding it virtually identical to the development environment for 32-bit Windows.

But, there may be more reasons to use x64-bit OS on a x64-bit platform:
  1. The venerable 32-bit x86 architecture is getting tired, and applications are hitting real limitations, particularly in regard to addressable memory, but also in other ways, such as in manipulating large blocks of data.
  2. Now if we consider AMD64, some 32-bit applications can gain from the increased address space of the AMD64 architecture when running on a 64-bit operating system—without rewriting or recompiling a single line of code. Remember, the AMD64 architecture can run 64-bit and 32-bit applications concurrently.

kumarmohit

Technomancer
It will not work on Itanium as hcp006sl said becoz Itanium is a pure 64 bit architecture and not a extended 32 bit system as AMD X64 or Intel EM64 T

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
hcp006sl if u are replying to my this reply:
32 bit programs will take a very small (around 5%) perf hit because of the emulation layer.
then I suppose u didn't get the fact that I was talking about running 32bit progs on x64 windows on an AMD64 machines. Here's an article for reference.

I u weren't replying to me, then forget this post.

hcp006sl

Journeyman
siriusb said:
I was talking about running 32bit progs on x64 windows on an AMD64 machines. Here's an article for reference.

First of all I want to say that the test by X-bit lab was conducted on Windows XP Professional x64 Edition RC1. It was carried out based on gaming applications.

If you are running a 32-bit program (application) on WindowsXP x64 on an AMD64 machine, it should work better. Because, as I told you —
some 32-bit applications can gain from the increased address space of the AMD64 architecture when running on a 64-bit operating system—without rewriting or recompiling a single line of code. Remember, the AMD64 architecture can run 64-bit and 32-bit applications concurrently.
Windows XP Professional x64 Edition runs 32-bit applications in the Windows on Windows 64 (WOW64) subsystem providing compatibility with the more than 10,000 existing 32-bit Windows applications while enabling new 64-bit applications.

WOW64 is the x86 emulator that allows 32-bit Windows applications to run on 64-bit Windows.
WOW64 launches and runs 32-bit applications seamlessly. The system isolates 32-bit applications from 64-bit applications, which includes preventing file and registry collisions. However, 32-bit processes cannot load 64-bit DLLs, and 64-bit processes cannot load 32-bit DLLs.

Applications running in the WOW64 system on Windows XP Professional x64 Edition each have a full 4 GB of virtual memory space. Applications compiled to take advantage of the /3 GB switch will actually get 4 GB, without constraining the operating system at all, since it is running in the 8 terabytes of virtual address space that Windows XP Professional x64 Edition has for the system processes.

But, there is one limitation:
Extensions to Windows Explorer, for example, menu extensions to the right-click menu in Windows Explorer, must be 64-bit. If they are 32-bit, the application may work, but the Windows Explorer extensions will not be available. This is because any application can be either 32-bit running in WOW64 or 64-bit. But not both. And Windows Explorer is obviously 64-bit. So the application itself will work, but the extensions won't. Hence, one can miss the right-click extensions for WinZip, a prime example of this.

Now according to Microsoft, —
execution speed of 32-bit applications under WOW64 on x64 is similar to its speed under 32-bit Windows. On the Intel processor, more software is involved in the emulation, and performance suffers as a result.

hcp006sl

Journeyman
QwertyManiac said:
I guess BlackComb is a 64bit vista operating sys...
Windows Blackcomb is the code name for the successor to Microsoft Windows Vista, announced in February 2000.

The codename Blackcomb was originally assigned to a version of Windows that was planned to follow Windows XP in both client and server versions. However, in August 2001, the release of Blackcomb was pushed back several years and Vista was announced as an intermediary. In November 2002, Microsoft confirmed that Blackcomb would be a server-only release. This server-only release may indicate that non-server computer networking may see its end in the 64-bit era.

Blackcomb has been slated to include many features from Windows Vista, however some features that have slipped from Vista's release schedule are not expected to be ready for Blackcomb's release either. On December 10, 2004, Windows Server Chief Bob Muglia stated that the earliest WinFS to be included in their server operating system would be a component of the first update following a couple of years after Vista.

Blackcomb's true product name and feature list are still unclear. It is a given that the interface included with Windows Vista, and increased support for multiple processors. An announcement was recently made that Blackcomb will be available in both 32-bit and 64-bit versions, in order to ease the industry's transition from 32-bit to 64-bit computing. Blackcomb was previously expected to support only 64-bit server systems. This will mean continued backwards compatibilty with 32-bit Applications. However, 16-bit (DOS) Applications are unlikely to be supported. The Windows line of products has been known throughout its history for backwards compatibility.

Blackcomb is currently planned to be released in 2011. But if Microsoft continues its reputation of delaying product releases for last-minute fixes and better testing of new features, it may slip into 2012, or perhaps even later.

source: Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom