Windows 'Workstation' 2008: Vista Done Right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pat

Beyond Smart
If you've been paying attention to the various industry news outlets you've no doubt come across the story about the Microsoft engineer advocating Windows Server 2008 as a 'workstation' OS.

According to him, if you make the right tweaks - installing the Desktop Experience feature, adding a few missing utilities, tuning the scheduler - you can turn Server 2008 into a fairly convincing Vista knock-off, one that's faster and more scalable than the original. Curious, we decided to see for ourselves just how well Server 2008 stacks-up to Vista with SP1.

So whos gonna try Windows Server 2008 on their desktops now ? :grin:

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Im already using Server 08 as a Vista replacement. Works exceptionally well! And all drivers from Vista work on Server 08 :)

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
My old harddisk is on the shelf, seems like a good reason to test Windows Server 2008 in "Workstation Mode".

Only the OS overhead is reduced, however with a system with C2D E6550 & 2 GB RAM, this is hardly noticable.

Off topic : Kalpik, u got my PM?

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
^^ Everything is available in Windows Server 2008 but disabled by default which can be re-enabled by starting the appropriate services from Service manager. :)

casanova

The Frozen Nova
Thanks for the info vishal. Can I expect a guide to "WOW with Windows Workstation 2008" guide soon. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom