Windows Vista Build 5384 Beta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

madmoody

Broken In
Hey Guyz,,,my pc specs are
256 RAM, P4 2.4GHz, 64MB graphics mem, 80GB HDD....

My friend just tols me that i will be able to run this ver. even with my PC's config.I gave it a try.I installed it from the image my friend gave me of the setup.There were 2 options 1.Upgrade 2.Custom.I chose the 2nd option.so a fresh vista installation took place.After the installation the PC as expected slowed down,but what i think the reason was that i didn't had the proper display drivers,the motherboard CD was not found compatible so were many of the other softwares.And then the most important one !!! iwas not able to add my modem.Under phone & modem options the "ADD" modem button was not accessible.So i was not able to connect to the internet.I think that i should have chosen the 1.Upgrade option .Would that have helped the compatibility
of the softwares.I didn't chose that option cause it was giving some errors saying that you should have the latest version of "D347PRT SCSI RAID CONTOLLER" and the devices "GAME CONTROLLERS" & "GENERIC WEB CAM"
not supported.Anyways i think the error for SCSI occured since i was using daemon tools.So what u guyz think will the upgrade option resolve the compatibilty problems and how do i overcome the errors associated

d00by

Broken In
Vista beta 2 that you have is buggy as hell.

Atleast get Vista RC1 build. That was a better beta of Windows Vista, IMHO.

d00by

Broken In
Running Vista with less than 512 MB RAM is a pointless exercise.

Anything less than 1 GB will result in bad performance.

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
^^
I'm enjoying Vista at 512MB RAM and its running very smoothly. ;)
Honestly speaking, I didnt find any speed difference in XP or Vista. :)

d00by

Broken In
Are you running all the features like 3D Aero & multimedia features like dvd maker, multimedia centre on 512 MB without slowing down your system?

If you are, You must have a pentium 4 hyperthread or some similar config.

I ran beta 2 on my celeron m 512 MB without Aero and it still made my system unacceptably slow.

I think to have a good experience with the final build of Vista, anything less than 1 GB will result in a slow computer.

I am not even counting the fancy Aero into the equation.

I guess to each his own. IMHO, I would not advise anyone to seriously run Vista as their main OS on less than 1 GB. :(

shaunak

Tux Fan
Imm running everything, Aero, media center, ... the like.
I have: 512 MB RAM and a 2.4 ghz P4 processor. No HT [which is useless anyway] and 256MB of graphics memory.
Vista is running very smoothly.

IMO vista handles memory better than XP and i am yet to encounter ANY CRASHES due to resource handling.
[only crashed once so far due to incompatible Antivirus solution]

@madmoody: Upgrade wouldnt have changed much. You need to get new drivers from your hardware manufacturer or atleast run a chipset setup so windows can update the drivers itself [you will need to be connected first though]

man_in_black

Broken In
installing the video & sound driver is a plus and improves the performance a lot.

one way to install them is to run them in compatibility mode (of XP of'course). Although its not a guarenteed way but it almost always works.

I've done that and it was fine.

man_in_black

Broken In
installing the video & sound driver is a plus and improves the performance a lot.

one way to install them is to run them in compatibility mode (of XP of'course). Although its not a guarenteed way but it almost always works.

I've done that and it was fine.

d00by

Broken In
shaunak said:
Imm running everything, Aero, media center, ... the like.
I have: 512 MB RAM and a 2.4 ghz P4 processor. No HT [which is useless anyway] and 256MB of graphics memory.
Vista is running very smoothly.

the keyword here is 256 MB graphics memory.

With that kind of memory, you should have no problem with Vista.

I think if you remove that 256 MB graphics memory bit, you may have a different experience with Vista.

OP
M

madmoody

Broken In
Guyz just check out my problems once again,,i know the specs are not enough to run vista...but just tell me is there any solution for these problems :-
1.How can i add my modem to connect to internet.
2.Shaunak how can i run a chipset setup so windows can update the drivers itself,i am connected since i've again put Xp.
3.How to install the video and sound driver by running them in compatibility mode.
4.Will the updated drivers for Xp work in vista also.
Help me out GUYZ....

Last edited:

shantanu

Technomancer
Vista Beta 2 is very much not fit for home usage it had many bugs .. so atleast install Vista RC1 or RC2 if you can get it ,, but now you can buy VISTA RTM so

*www.windowsmarketplace.com/details.aspx?view=info&itemid=3268636

d00by

Broken In
windows marketplace is only available for usa/canada regarding vista download.

I emailed those guys and recieved confirmation that marketplace website is not for india.

If you try to add credit card information, there is only option for usa/canada in country box. :(

d00by

Broken In
microsoft india website is a joke.

The buy online link takes you to indiatimes shopping website where upgrade edition of vista is not listed.

When I tried to call microsoft customer care they gave me crap about vista upgrade being available in stores. When I told them that I had visited and called those very stores they were mentioning and was told there that vista upgrade or ANY edition of Vista will not be available for atleast two weeks they feigned ignorance.

The fact is that microsoft does not give a damn about India.

I guess due to 95% piracy rates, they have reason to have this attitude towards Indian market.

It has been a frustrating week in my quest for Vista upgrade! :(

shantanu

Technomancer
Dont be so frustated buddy!!! you will get in some coming time..... i understand when something is going this way and we want it desperately///

i understand... :D

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
which AntiVirus works with beta 2.

i installed Avast, but as soon as PC rebooted to desktop, it crashed with BSOD:D
then i tried KIS (vista compatible), but it during Installation itself Crashed me poor PC :cry:

now i'm defenseless, with just Windows Firewall & Win. defender:(

"once upon a time" MY PC was a FORT, with XP + ZoneAlarm Pro + KIS6, & that "once upon a time""was yesterday morning:D:D:D

shantanu

Technomancer
which version 6.0 , 6.1 , 6.2 (6.2 is for beta testers)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom