Windows Tricks and Tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

hmvrulz

Broken In
How do I install Windows® 98/Me after I've installed XP?(without 3rd party software)
Necessary Criteria

This procedure assumes that Windows XP is installed on drive C: No support is offered for other drive letters.

Drive C: must be FAT16 or FAT32 to be able to install Windows 98/Me after XP is already installed.

The 98/Me installation routine cannot write to an NTFS partition.

You must have a second hard disk or partition formatted for FAT16/32 in order to be able to install Windows 98/Me.

Installing 98/Me to the same partition as Windows XP is NOT RECOMMENDED!

I recommend the use of a Windows 98/Me Startup disk for this procedure. If you don't have one, you can

download the necessary files from *www.bootdisk.com You should ensure that DEBUG.EXE is on your Startup disk.

If it isn't, it can be copied from the Windows\Command folder. On a 98/Me Startup disk,

created from Add/Remove Programs, its in the EBD.CAB file on the Startup disk.

For a 98 Startup disk created from FAT32EBD.EXE its on the floppy

OP
H

hmvrulz

Broken In
How do I install Windows 2000 after I've installed XP?(without 3rd party software)
This procedure was performed on FAT32 drives.

Install Windows 2000

1) Use a Win98/Me Startup disk (with CD support) to boot your computer. If you don't have one, you can

download the files to make a boot disk at www.bootdisk.com

2) Insert your Windows 2000 CD into the CD Rom drive.

3) At the A: prompt type X:\I386\WINNT.EXE where X: is your CD-ROM drive.

4) Proceed with the install. Install Windows 2000 to a different partition than XP is installed in.

5) Complete the Windows install. Allow the computer to boot into Windows 2000.

OP
H

hmvrulz

Broken In
Lock your Desktop
Press the Windows key and the L key (WinKey+L) at the same time.

Additionally, you can create a new shortcut, with the following command line:

rundll32.exe user32.dll,LockWorkStation

Copy the new shortcut to your Quick Launch bar and you have one click access to locking the desktop.

Notes: If you are using the Welcome screen and Fast User Switching is enabled, other users will still have
access to you computer, by selecting their Username and entering their password. Additionally, if you don't have
a password on your account, then all that is required is to click on your Username on the Welcome screen.

OP
H

hmvrulz

Broken In
How do I restrict a User's Logon hours?
You can only restrict when a user can log on to the system. On a stand alone computer, there is no way,

currently, to force a user to log off when their hours expire.

1) Open Help and Support and type "logon hours" (without the quotes) in the search box.

2) Go to Full text matches and click on "Net user". See the examples for setting a user's logon hours.
Some examples would be:

net user johnsw /time:M-F,08:00-17:00
net user johnsw /time:M-F,8am-5pm
net user marysl /time:M,4am-5pm;T,1pm-3pm;W-F,8:00-17:00
net user johnsw /time:all (this one means this user can always log on)

3) Open a Command Prompt window.

4) Enter the appropriate "net user" command for the user(s) you wish to restrict access for.

xp_sysrestorepoint.vbs - VB Script to run unattended Restore Point Creation as a Scheduled Task

This code may be freely distributed/modified.

This script is only intended for Windows® XP.

This VB Script can be run as a Scheduled Task to create an unattended System Restore Point.

The Restore point will be identified as Automatic Restore Point with the date and time the script was run.

Usage: Download: xp_sysrestorepoint.vbs and save this file to your hard drive.

Create a new Scheduled Task and point it to the VBS file. After the script runs, it will leave a dialog

telling you whether or not the Restore Point was successfully created. This script can be viewed in

Notepad or any text editor, as to the specific Registry key and value that are updated. For an EXE

version of this utility, click HERE

OP
H

hmvrulz

Broken In
To enable Autologon in Windows® XP Professional & Home Edition

Option 1: Download and install TweakUI from the Powertoys for Windows XP collection. In the Logon section,

set the default username and password to be used.

Option 2: From an Administrator account, click Start, Run and enter CONTROL USERPASSWORDS2

Remove the check mark from Users must enter a username and password and click Apply. Follow the prompts.

OP
H

hmvrulz

Broken In
Short Cut KeyCTRL+A Select All

CTRL+C Copy

CTRL+O Open

CTRL+P Print

CTRL+S Save

CTRL+V Paste

CTRL+X Cut

CTRL+Z Undo

F1 Display contextual Help window.

SHIFT+F1 Activate context-sensitive Help mode (What's This?).

SHIFT+F10 Display pop-up menu. (Or use "MENU" button.)

SPACEBAR Select (same as mouse button 1 click).

ESC Cancel

ALT Activate or inactivate menu bar mode (then press letter for that item).

ALT+TAB Display next primary window (or application).

ALT+ESC Display next window.

ALT+SPACEBAR Display pop-up menu for the window.

ALT+ENTER Display property sheet for current selection.

ALT+F4 Close active window.

ALT+F6 Switch to next window within application (between modeless secondary windows and their primary window).

ALT+PRINT SCREEN Capture active window image to the Clipboard.

PRINT SCREEN Capture desktop image to the Clipboard.

CTRL+ESC Access Start button in taskbar.

CTRL+ALT+DEL Brings up "Close Program" Window.

maverickrohan

SABER RIDER
dude...................u post SIX messages in succesion in a thread uv started ur self...............whats with u dude.........

N this is supposed to be in the TUTORIALS SECTION...................not "SOFTWARE REVIEWS"

ujjwal

Padawan
Hi, thats a nice set of tips you posted, but you should have posted it in the tips & tricks sticky, which exists at *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2258 :)

techno_funky

da' Ťurntable ruleth
as ujjwal said post your tips and tricks in the thread provided
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2258

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom