Windows system requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashfame

Padawan
Can anyone post the minimum system requirements to run win98 se, winxp, winxp sp1, winxp sp2 & the lightest version of Linux for acceptable performance.
I want to make some old Crap Box working again.

And please also tell me about UBUNTU.

Last edited:

saurabh.sauron

Ambassador of Buzz
Windows XP (system requirements are same for sp2 and sp1)

*www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/upgrading/sysreqs.mspx

PC with 300 megahertz or higher processor clock speed recommended; 233 MHz minimum required (single or dual processor system);* Intel Pentium/Celeron family, or AMD K6/Athlon/Duron family, or compatible processor recommended

128 megabytes (MB) of RAM or higher recommended (64 MB minimum supported; may limit performance and some features)

1.5 gigabytes (GB) of available hard disk space*

Super VGA (800 x 600) or higher-resolution video adapter and monitor

CD-ROM or DVD drive

Keyboard and Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device

Windows 98

Minimum: DOS 3.31.
Reasonable: DOS 5.0 or higher. DOS 4.0 was so buggy that you're really taking a chance installing Windows 98 over it.

Processor

Minimum: 66 MHz 486DX2
Reasonable: Pentium, Pentium MMX, or Pentium II. Note, however, that Pentium Pro systems do not run Windows 98 noticeably faster than other Pentiums running at the same clock speed. The Pentium Pros are optimized for pure 32-bit code (such as you find in Windows NT), and Windows 98 contains enough 16-bit code to prevent any significant speed increases.

Memory

Minimum: 16MB.
Reasonable: Windows 98 runs much better with 24MB of RAM. For best results, I recommend at least 32MB, with 64MB being the bottom line for the truly impatient.

Hard disk free space

Minimum: The minimum amount of space required by Windows 98 Setup is 225MB.
Reasonable: A full install of Windows 98 could use up as much as 400MB of hard disk space. (See the following Note box.) Setup may also require another 45-50MB for the backup copies of your system files, and Windows 98 will need 20MB or 30MB for its dynamic swap file.

Video

Minimum: VGA, 14-inch monitor.
Reasonable: Super VGA, 17-inch monitor. Windows 98 enables you to open and work with many more applications at once than did Windows 3.x. So to maximize screen space, your video card and monitor should be capable of displaying 256 colors at 1024X768 resolution. If you plan on using Windows 98's multimedia features (such as video), a video card that can handle true color (16 million colors) and DirectX is a must. You need to install a second adapter to take advantage of Windows 98's multiple monitor support.

Peripherals

Minimum: 3 1/2-inch high-density floppy drive, CD-ROM drive, and a mouse (Microsoft or compatible).
Reasonable: If you plan on using The Microsoft Network, Microsoft Fax, HyperTerminal, or any other communications packages, you need a modem or a fax/modem. To take advantage of Windows 98's built-in sound support, you need a sound card and speakers. If you plan on using Windows 98's networking features, your system must have a network interface card installed.

*www.tdbennett.com/samples/31235-2/01/01.html

if ur system is very old...i suggest u go in for a GNOME desktop such as ubuntu. it doesnt use up as many resources as KDE.

Ubuntu :- no hefty requirements.

700mhz, 128 mb ram reccomended.
CD-ROM drive

OP
ashfame

ashfame

Padawan
just wanna confirm that the above requirements of win98 are of win98 second edition.
Tell me about ubuntu, what it is, where to get it from, charges etc.
And Thanks a lot for your effort.

saurabh.sauron

Ambassador of Buzz
they are more or less the same for 98se and 98.

as for ubuntu :- it is totally FREE.

1.) order it for free from *shipit.ubuntu.com/ [chk it out in may, as they are not shipping until dapper drake is released]

2.)download it from *www.ubuntu.com/download

3.)use the torrent link to download it from BitTorrent from *www.torrentportal.com/download/481019/ubuntu-6.06-beta-live-i386.iso.torrent

sknowonweb

Journeyman
Linux run happily with 4 mb ram in command line .
And he worst is , their minimum sys req is 16MB as per few documentations to run GUI . Dont count Fedora here , They are kinda racing with MS for their releases .
The Processor , base is 486 .

busyanuj

In the zone
ashfame said:
Can anyone post the minimum system requirements to run win98 se, winxp, winxp sp1, winxp sp2 & the lightest version of Linux for acceptable performance.
I want to make some old Crap Box working again.

And please also tell me about UBUNTU.

It's not always necessary to run the latest OS on an old machine. You can get your hands on Redhat Linux 6 or 5.2 if someone still has the old PCQuest 1999 cd (Redhat Linux 5.2) or erstwhile Chip 2000 cd (Redhat Linux 6).

Otherwise, Windows 98 is a good alternative. People have already told you the minimum requirements for the same.

These decisions depend on the question whether you want to run the machine for learning/educational purposes alone or do you want it to give some bare minimum multimedia performance as well.

Please specify your computer's hardware configuration. Otherwise, we'll all be shooting in the dark recommending various options/alternatives to you.

OP
ashfame

ashfame

Padawan
Guys two of my friends are willing to buy second hand computers within 5k for getting familiar with computers (learning purposes). Besides that the pc should also be able to play songs & movies.
If anyone who can suggest a configuration that would not cost >5k, pl tell.
I will add the config. later, i haven't decided it yet.

OP
ashfame

ashfame

Padawan
Can i have the following in 5k: (second hand)
Processor 1 ghz
any mobo
128 / 256 MB SD RAM
20 / 40 GB HDD
CD ROM
Floppy Drive
15" Color Monitor

OP
ashfame

ashfame

Padawan
Re-post:
Can i have the following in 5k: (second hand)
Processor 1 ghz
any mobo
256 MB SD RAM
20 / 40 GB HDD
CD ROM
Floppy Drive
15" Color Monitor
keyboard
mouse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom