1. Hey Guest Did you know you can win an Honor 10 phone worth ₹33,000 and an additional ₹70,000 in paytm vouchers, just by replying to some threads and taking part in the discussions happening in the Honor Hub?

What are you waiting for? Start commenting and start winning! Remember to read the instructions posted here.

Dismiss Notice

windows query..

Discussion in 'Software Q&A' started by technomodel, Nov 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. technomodel

technomodel New Member

guys i installed winxp sp2 in a frnds machine but the problem is that when i try to reboot, the machine freezes at POST. ii had to reformat and reinstall.
    the machine config is
    p4 2.8 ht, asus p4p800-vm,2*256 ddr400 ram.
    thnx for ur helps and suggestions in advance.

2. OP
    OP
    technomodel

technomodel New Member

oye, i started this thread in the 'open source' forum. why was it removed? did i do anything wrong?

3. hitesh_hg

hitesh_hg New Member

is windows open-source???
    i dont even feel like replying...

Hitesh

4. amitsaudy

amitsaudy New Member

Even i had the same problem after installing sp2 on my system.
    But i did not format my c: but simply upgraded my installation
    by booting via XP cd and the problem was solved.
    I know the solution but what i wanna know is the reason why it happened.

5. ujjwal

ujjwal New Member

Most prolly a corrupt MBR (Master Boot record), as stated by amit, you don't need to reformat, but just reinstall, as this will reinstall the MBR.

6. OP
    OP
    technomodel

technomodel New Member

but if i upgrade, then the sp2 i installed will be removed. and again when i reinstall the service pack, the problem is repeated.

my dear hitesh, windows IS open source. it's not a free software, but it is open source, as it has started to share it's source code with many countries. so by definition, i guess i can call windows open source and i believe rightly posted it in the open source forum.

7. GNUrag

GNUrag FooBar Guy

Hello technomodel,

Well, Windows is NOT Open Source.... there are certain things, like the licencing aggrement, patenting issues, permission over source code... first these things have to be sorted out then only a software can be called an OpenSource software...

The source code of windows is shared with which coutries ? Is it Europe ? or India, China also ?... Just giving out a copy of source code is not enough for a software to be called OpenSource.... In this particular case that you are talking about, the source code has been given..... but the government does not have the rights to compile and test the software wether it really works the it is claimed to work....

Note: For a software to be rightly classified as OpenSource, the following conditions should be met.
    1) Users have the right to use the program for any purpose
    2) Users have the right to copy and distribut the source code...
    3) Users have the right to modify the program for any purpose.
    4) Users have the right to re-distribut the modified source codes.

Read GPL conditions for redistributions :
    http://www.gnu.org/licenses/licenses.html#VerbatimCopying

Read the Open Source defination here:
    http://www.opensource.org/docs/definition.php

I moved it from OpenSource to Q&A coz i could not understand any reason for a BIOS issue with Windows XP being posted there!!!

8. hitesh_hg

hitesh_hg New Member

Sorry for taking this thread off topic but...

Well i don't have the source-code of windows otherwise would have removed some of the bugs...and that is why (even otherwise too, as Gnurag pointed out) it is not open source.

I have complete source-code of RH9 (all three CD of source code and i do look at it some of the time...

Hitesh Gupta

9. OP
    OP
    technomodel

technomodel New Member

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-software-for-freedom.html

10. OP
    OP
    technomodel

technomodel New Member

sorry anurag, i guess it's a blasphemy to argue with you in something about which you ate certainly one of the most knowledgable in this forum, but i would like to point this out.
    and i knew that you would remove the topic, at least warn me.:wink: and that's what i wanted. if you think i'm being too clever, please forgive me. my only was reason was to grab as much attention with this thread as possible. i may be wrong in my philosophy,but i want to clear it up.

if you have still not guessed, my main intention is to point at the naming of the 'open source' forum.

11. klinux

klinux New Member

kurious : if a person developed software using open source platform or gpl , i aint clear abt the terms , does it mean he has to disclose all the contents of his software ?? lets say someone makes a gr8 encryption program for indian army using OS platform . would he have to disclose all his tricks and coding to the open source community . or is there a way where he could protect his property as his own .

- u can move this to open source topic if it seems outta place here :)

12. GNUrag

GNUrag FooBar Guy

I dont get the point... you were trying to grab attention by asking about how to fix a WinXP machine which hangs after POST ? could you explain us the logic ?

No you are not wrong at all about GNU and OpenSource... you perhaps seem to understand the difference between the Free Software movement and the OpenSource movement.... the fact is that these two philosiphies are quite different from each other....

I have been requesting the same thing ever since then OpenSource section was created a month back ... read these posting that i made on the very first day...
    http://www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9215
    http://www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9223
    http://www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10429

plus there are many more threads in general discussion section where iraised this issue... perhaps you did not go through them....

@klinux, this discussion has become out of topic.... i'd request you to post you views in GPL v3 arriving soon thread in the open source section.... that is the right place to discuss the pit falls of the OpenSource movement... and why it is better to follow the GNU and Free Software movement....

13. OP
    OP
    technomodel

technomodel New Member

GNUrag wrote
    u'r write, i had'nt

GNUrag wrote
    well actually what i wanted was that that someone would reply that the thread was to be in another forum,and then i would jump into the discussions about the implications of the name "open source". i specifically chose windows as there is this notion that whatever may be open source, windows can't even be remotely linked to the term.

14. GNUrag

GNUrag FooBar Guy

15. OP
    OP
    technomodel

technomodel New Member

thnx GNUrag.those were really nice links.

exactly. and it's because of this very reason that no one can mix proprietory s/wrs with free softwares.

the line between 'open' and 'shared' is very fuzzy.

16. amitsaudy

amitsaudy New Member

Hey technomodel
    I think ur just giving lame excuses to hide your folly.
    I dont think you started the thread with the intention of what you are trying to justify now in the later posts.
    Admit it maaan if im right.
    But please dont get hot if im wrong cos this is just a personal guess.
    Please dont feel offended and speak your mind if im wrong.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.