Windows not starting up

Status
Not open for further replies.

terminalbot

Right off the assembly line
I've got an amd 1800+ with asus a7a266e mobo with windows xp sp1. My computer was working fine until last week. Now my computer goes until the windows xp logo and then it just restarts. I tried bootime antivirus scan and i formated my harddisk more than 12 times. Then i tried installing windows me. It did not work. Again i formatted and i installed windows 98. But it works only on Safe mode.So i tried to install windows xp again this time during installation it showed the error nvdisp.dll was corrupt. So i tried to install Redhat linux fedora core3 but it also stopped at installation. Then i tried to install it in text mode, again faliure. Yesterday i got a copy of knoppix and tried to use it and again the computer restarted. Then at the boot prompt i gave the command [knoppix Xserver=XFree86 Xmodule=fbdev] and it worked. I can use gimp, xaos and all sorts of things and it works fine. But since its a online cd i'm havin problems. Sooo can anybody help me...

Journeyman
terminalbot:

1. Did you see the *BSOD, before your PC reboots at the Win XP logo?
2. Have you run a CHKDSK in the recovery console.

Try the recovery console and see if you have any errors or bad sectors on your HDD.

OP
T

terminalbot

Right off the assembly line
Ive tried to connect my hd to my friends pc and it worked fine. Also i've copied my knoppix cd to the hd and its now booting from there, but i've to give the boot commands mentioned above everytime it boots. I can also do turbo cpp programming from dos mode by using the windows boot floppy. Also i've ran chkdsk several times and it showed no errors. I'v consulted my local pc dealer and he says that it maybe mobo problem and maybe it needs to be replaced. But i want to know that if its a mobo problem then will win 98 boot into safe mode and can i run knoppix without any problems...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom