windows messenger

Status
Not open for further replies.

sesi5674u

Broken In
windows messenger that comes bundled with xp starts updating automatically when i tryto sign in.Is there any way i can stop it

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
It's recommended that you skip Windows Messenger and use MSN Messenger. That way, you can click Start>Run, type in
services.msc
press Enter
and navigate to the Messenger service and double click and change its startup type from Automatic to Disabled. However, there is no way to prevent it from auto-updating as you may be required to update to even sign in.

theraven

Technomancer
eh ?
wasnt that messenger service for LAN messages ?

heres what i got from services.msc

Transmits net send and Alerter service messages between clients and servers. This service is not related to Windows Messenger. If this service is stopped, Alerter messages will not be transmitted. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.

to remove windows messenger u need sp2 i think ... u can remove it from add remove windows components
i forgot how else its done. .. i usually select the option in autopatcher when i need to do this on a new install !!

and in either messenger its important tio upgrade to the latest version as MS doesnt let u logon otherewise
sorry !!

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
You can use Disable Windows Messenger by Doug Knox ..It will also make sure that performance of Outlook or Outlook express isnt lost ...
Recommended ..

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
D'Oh! I have no idea why I told him to disable the netsvcs Messenger service. :D Must have been really sleepy or really confused. Cr@p! :D Yeah, you can use either Doug Knox's tool or use SP2 via Control Panel>Add/Remove Windows Components or run this command in Start>Run:
RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

Time for my regularly scheduled MRI scan. Thanks guys! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom