Windows Live Mail (Beta): A light review

Status
Not open for further replies.

goobimama

 Macboy
Windows Live Mail (Beta)

I had heard about Windows Live some time back and had entered my ID in for an invite. I was quite surprised to find the invite lying in my inbox today.

I promptly accepted the invitations and was presented with the Windows Live Mail Beta Interface.

*img236.imageshack.us/img236/5112/windowslive3he.th.jpg

To give credit to Microsoft, the interface ‘looks’ neat. The colours are excellent and the buttons are all very pleasing to the eyes. Gmail should learn from this (just hope I don’t get flamed for this)

The first page you are greeted with is the “Today� page much like that in a normal hotmail interface. Now this is kind of bugging as I normally want to get to my mail first. So I click on Mail.

The interface is nice, but a bit cramped up. The messages are shown in a narrow box. This I am comparing to Gmail which gives you a lot of space to navigate through. They have also eaten up some space at the sides with fat banners asking for feedback which most probably will transform into Ads.

The interface is fast, but not as fast as Gmail. I don’t think they load the entire application like that of Gmail.

There are some nifty features like Right-clicking to get a context menu for reply, forward and whatnot. You can also drag and drop your emails into folders or to the thrash.

The compose window is like any other email client, but it is aesthetically pleasing.

Calender is also a useful feature and works like any other simple PM.

Overall, Windows Live seems to be quite nice. If they could get their interface to be a bit faster by preloading the script, it can be a serious contender to Gmail…

alanpaladka

Journeyman
Well, I got Invitation Today. I had submitted my email id 10 days ago. It looks very nice. Thanks to Microsoft. :D

*img271.imageshack.us/img271/1475/livemailbeta4uc.th.png

dr_nvkrishna

Broken In
i have submitted 1 month back.but i havenot get invitaTION.is there any eligibility criterion like computer professionals etc.

naveenchandran

In the zone
I have got the invitation...

At first I could not sign au ...

It said you
Could not continue because of one of the following resons..

must be 13 years or older :lol:
might not be available in your country

Then I tried it after changing from India to US...
Got into it..
found no change in Interface except 2000 MB!
:|

godsownman

Padawan
I think this is the link ,

*www4.imagine-msn.com/minisites/mail/Default.aspx?locale=en-us

Yes this is the correct link and it makes a difference from which server u apply. Aplly for it from a non Indian location

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
Hmm .. I too reviewed it here .. And mind you .. They _do_ listen to Feedback you send .. Now the only thing that I dont like about it is it freezes my browser for a moment ( PIII 800 Mhz what can you expect :p) when the page is opened first .. Anyways .. I didnt expect MS to create such nice interface .. I still believe someone else has designed it ..
Anyways .. The name sucks ..

OP
goobimama

goobimama

 Macboy
I forgot to mention, it offers only basic funtionality in Firefox but they say that they are still developing functionality for Firefox...

godsownman

Padawan
Hey Goobimama,

I meant that the address in the profile location in your HOTMAIL settings. I think you got me wrong.

And I got an invite today just after I posted the link here I opened my hotmail inbox ( I dont open it often due to gmail ) and there it was waiting for me .

I havent used the interface yet as I am tied up presently.

Will see that later in the day , though.

I had one question. It is for all those who have received the invite. what is the country location that you have provided to hotmail , India or ???

Anyway thanks.

OP
goobimama

goobimama

 Macboy
Now i remember. I had used that hack to convert my hotmail to 250MB and in that I had entered Florida,USA...

godsownman

Padawan
it_waaznt_me said:
Hmm .. I too reviewed it here .. And mind you .. They _do_ listen to Feedback you send .. Now the only thing that I dont like about it is it freezes my browser for a moment ( PIII 800 Mhz what can you expect :p) when the page is opened first .. Anyways .. I didnt expect MS to create such nice interface .. I still believe someone else has designed it ..
Anyways .. The name sucks ..

Hi,

I have just used it for 2 hours today but I havent noticed any such problem as you say. Even I have a PIII with 600MHZ ( yours is better than mine though), but I do not face the problem.

May be a prob on your side .

Regards

godsownman

Padawan
it_waaznt_me said:
Lol... See what I just got .. :))

*img117.imageshack.us/img117/5821/hotmailbeta5ox.th.jpg

You got another invitation for the same account. Lol,

And by the way I use the IE browser as its not yet completely ready for Opera and Firefox.

Regards

cyberia.in

In the zone
naveenchandran said:
I have got the invitation...

At first I could not sign au ...

It said you
Could not continue because of one of the following resons..

must be 13 years or older :lol:
might not be available in your country

Then I tried it after changing from India to US...
Got into it..
found no change in Interface except 2000 MB!
:|

The same happened to me. Any cure ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom