windows genuine advantage notification tool wrongly suspected my pc!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronweasley

Broken In
hi everyone!

yesterday my pc installed the Windows Genuine Advantage Notification tool via Automatic Updates. immediately after installation my pc rebooted(i allowed). Then i was SHOCKED to see that my pc was marked "you may be a victim of counterfeiting" (my pc is from Hewlett Packard running prebuilt licensed WinXPH-SP2)
. i then contacted the microsoft piracy website. it validated and said my copy of xp was fine!!!. but that stamp "you may be a victim of counterfeiting" didnt disappear!!!. then i ran ms update myself. and it installed another security update. upon restarting . that piracy warning disapeared!!!.

if the same thing happens to anyone else. do try double checking this and re-updating ur pc

OP
R

ronweasley

Broken In
im having each and everything licenced. i dont have msoffice. i have oenoffice.org(now is THAT pirated. bcoz its opensource and free)

Akshay

Cyborg Agent
I had prb. wit my sys having geniune windows copy when i installed dat tool...
Had to format it... I wud advice ppl not to use it if u r sure u hav a geniune
copy. (there r several other ways to confirm this).

Also the WGAT is not always rite... my friend using a 80 buks win xp copy
bought from streets of mumbai was confirmed by the tool to be using geniune
windows!! in fact, each n every s/w. on his sys is pirated..

ashfame

Padawan
i know a way that any pirated xp copy can be updated by selecting updates on their site.
Is there any way that i can report it to Ms & get some $$$

dheeraj_kumar

Legen-wait for it-dary!
@ronweasley

I had a problem exactly opposite to yours. I use a pirated winxpsp2 and the checker(both on the net and the program) say that it is an original copy of windows. lol

Akshay

Cyborg Agent
ashfame said:
i know a way that any pirated xp copy can be updated by selecting updates on their site.
Is there any way that i can report it to Ms & get some $$$

MS ppl r very smart n dey knw how pirates wrk. Dey have every idea abt
how ppl r bypassing their security measures, protection, etc.

But the pirates seem to b a step ahead of them... Evry time MS comes up
with a new security measure, the hackers/pirates crck dem in no time. Now evn
cracked ver. of Vista is available...

U will b wasting time in reporting it to MS

kumarmohit

Technomancer
Well you can just uninstall the Windows genuine advantege notofication tool from your PC using add remove programs just tick the show updates checkbox and look for it in where the updates are displayed there should be something like - Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications (KBXXXXX) just uninstall this update and yes you can sue MS too but I do not think it will be much of a benefit

OP
R

ronweasley

Broken In
kumarmohit said:
Well you can just uninstall the Windows genuine advantege notofication tool from your PC using add remove programs just tick the show updates checkbox and look for it in where the updates are displayed there should be something like - Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications (KBXXXXX) just uninstall this update and yes you can sue MS too but I do not think it will be much of a benefit

ya but its a compolsory automatic update!. if i uninstall( i neednt. my copy is physically and technologically genuine. im against piracy) it'll install again!

\/endett/\

Broken In
ronweasley said:
ya but its a compolsory automatic update!. if i uninstall it'll install again!
Not if u chose custom install instead of express install.
ronweasley said:
( i neednt. my copy is physically and technologically genuine. im against piracy)
Then suffer :p

WGA is a pure piece of cr@p, more than stopping piracy, its causing discomfort to the legal customers. and the pirated r enjoying, cracks always work fine.
BTW, i never spent a single buck on any software...still my WinXP VLK is quite original ...yes it is.

Last edited:

indra

Right off the assembly line
open the url and have a suprise .......and dont forget to thanx yaar *www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Uninstallers/RemoveWGA.shtml

casanova

The Frozen Nova
\/endett/\ said:
Not if u chose custom install instead of express install.

Then suffer :p

WGA is a pure piece of cr@p, more than stopping piracy, its causing discomfort to the legal customers. and the pirated r enjoying, cracks always work fine.
BTW, i never spent a single buck on any software...still my WinXP VLK is quite original ...yes it is.

You use pirated stuff and r discouraging legal users. Piracy has to be stopped for better computing as piracy is hazardous in a long run.

hermit

Journeyman
dheeraj_kumar said:
@ronweasley

I had a problem exactly opposite to yours. I use a pirated winxpsp2 and the checker(both on the net and the program) say that it is an original copy of windows. lol

u might b using pirated corp version .

where u dont need to activated u r windows within in 30 days .

its cool i know that .
ur product id may be like this
xxxxx-64x-xxxxxx

microsoft will not support u but will enable there downloads support only

dheeraj_kumar

Legen-wait for it-dary!
yep, he said it. i have the corporate edition(it said so on the setup) but my prod key was the same xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx as the others. when it got installed it said xp pro. maybe its xp corp edition setup with xp pro software...weird, but may be possible. anyway, i dont care :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom