Windows for India, Others Won't Run On Faster Chips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sourabh

Laptoping
Windows for India, Others Won't Run On Faster Chips

"When Microsoft said that Windows XP Starter Edition, the cut-rate version of Windows for emerging markets, was for beginning computer users, the company wasn't kidding. The operating system will not work on computers running Intel's Pentium 4 processors or the Athlon from Advanced Micro Devices, a public relations representative said on behalf of Microsoft. Instead, it will run on computers containing Intel's Celeron chips, AMD's Duron or Geode chips, or processors from Via Technologies.

"When you try to load it onto a Pentium 4 machine, it gets to the processor ID and stops functioning," said P.R. Lakshmanan, senior vice president of Zenith Computers in Mumbai, India, who tried it as an experiment. Zenith is one of India's larger local PC makers. Starter Edition for India won't be released publicly until June."

Read More/Source: ZDNet

T

Tux

I don't think anyone will buy Starter Edition , one can any time get the pirated one, much xheap & better

devilhead_satish

In the zone
Whats the point of this silly exercise. Do they expect their target audience to actually go to a shop and pick up a copy of XP Starter Edition. Why buy stripware when you can get the OS from your friends or as mail2and pointed out, CST ka footpaths!

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
I dont think neones talking of pirated versions here now are we ???? The thinking is simple enough. The S/W is aimed at low end markets that need a legal copy of windows XP on them. For example there is company in Kolkatta which offers a PC at 10k with linux. Now they might have a chance to give them XP starter edion along with their PC at still an affordable price. Make sense doesnt it. Its so easy to say pirate it. But then do remem a lot want to stay clear of piracies. Sheesh!

OP
Sourabh

Sourabh

Laptoping
well now wod someone temme are those guys on CST selling Cds still

the last two times i went it was completely empty

hoping against hope to hear the unexpected..

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
For example there is company in Kolkatta which offers a PC at 10k with linux. Now they might have a chance to give them XP starter edion along with their PC at still an affordable price

Ill agree with this , but on the other side I hope a new trend wont start where an OS would have to be purchased for each processor...

maverickrohan

SABER RIDER
i understand the point about stripping it n selling it cheap........but why shud it run only on Celerons, Duron, VIA proccys.........

Some Athlons cost lesser than Celerons........whats the logic.???

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
the logic is plain foolish... i don't know why microsoft is so greedy.. 90% home PC users use pirated versions of the software... what they need to do is to bring down the rates of the prof. and the home. versions of Win Xp. people will still buy pirated stuff if M$ offers some lame product for 2k with 90% features disabled....

it is as simple as that....

[flAsh]

In the zone
SO Microsoft wants me to buy a Pentium II or III???
F**k off I don't need a Starter edition a Pirated one of corporate edition works very nicely including windows update
SO WHO NEEDS A STARTER EDITION
DAMN WIT IT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom