Windows Crash after DXDiag, bad driver or card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NovaX81

Right off the assembly line
Finally got my new cpu up and running. I installed windows XP first (vista later), and all my core drivers/etc. Using a Sapphire Radeon HD 4870 X2 with the drivers that came with the CD, I noticed it wasn't showing any video in the AVIVO section of the CCC.

Later, I try to run DxDiag, and when I go to the Display tab, windows crashes and reboots. It's currently rebooting whenever I try to load windows normally/"last known good" config, but I can get into safe mode ok. Is this possibly just a bad driver messing with windows, or is something wrong with the physical card?

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
Are you running any Over clock settings ?? please check the BIOS and see all config are set as default specified by manufacturer :)

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Please try to boot it using onboard display. Uninstall the GPU + the drivers. Update to DirectX 9c.

To early to say..if your card is wrong..or driver issue. Got to trouble shoot it systematically.

If you get that to work..then disable onboard display and reseat the graphics card. Upon desktop population..immediately install the latest catalyst drivers. Would advice to download the latest Catalyst drivers, while using the system without the GPU.

OP
N

NovaX81

Stock videocard core/memory settings

unfortunately there is no onboard video on my motherboard... will try Safe Mode + Networking to get latest drivers/DirectX and uninstall old driver to see how it goes.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
All motherboards..have onboard display. How would you run the display monitor without a graphics card..?

DO try it without the graphics card.

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
All motherboards..have onboard display. How would you run the display monitor without a graphics card..?

DO try it without the graphics card.

All good motherboards have NO onboard display

Please show us where do you find onboard display in boards like P5N-E SLi or ASUS P5Q or ABiT IP35-Pro ??

realdan

Ambassador of Buzz
this thread make my day.

are u dual booting?
did it happen in xp or vista or both or you install xp and then upgrade to vista?
is your vista patched with sp1?

well even if the MB have onboard display it may not be able to pinpoint if it is the graphics card or the drivers..
i think it is probable that the drivers you have installed might have created a conflict or it didnt installed correctly or maynot be the right version for your OS on which u install it.

and the graphics card u r using needs directx 10.1 in vista and i think most graphics card manufacturer provide directx 9c or directx 10.1 or 10 in the CD that came along with it...did u install them? so again the same ques..u in vista or xp?

OP
N

NovaX81

-This is all occurring in Windows XP

-DirectX 9.0c was installed from the driver disc. I know it is a 10.1 card.

-I installed the XP 32-bit drivers from the CD as I am using XP SP2 32-bit.

My current course of order is to Flash my BIOS (checking around said this might help with this card/mobo config), uninstall the driver/DirectX in safe mode, then install DirectX and the drivers again and see how it goes.

to be safe/sure I'll also reseat the card.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
All good motherboards have NO onboard display

Please show us where do you find onboard display in boards like P5N-E SLi or ASUS P5Q or ABiT IP35-Pro ??

You are telling..that....for the above two motherboards...they cannot be connected to a CRT monitor without the intervention of a GPU..??

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.
-Boot into safe mode.
-UnInstall Drivers
-Install latest drivers from the net
-Update DirectX 9.0c

If nothing happens then
-Re-install XP SP2 32Bit

:)

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Try Driver Sweep from 3d guru website. Will clean up drivers and remove all residual files.
Then go for fresh installs as KPower Mania suggested.

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
You are telling..that....for the above two motherboards...they cannot be connected to a CRT monitor without the intervention of a GPU..??

Nuts, well they will just run the screen. Try to move a folder, it'l stutter. An oncoard GPU kicks in. And yes, many good mobos do not have onboard GPU's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom