1. Hey Guest Did you know you can win an Honor 10 phone worth ₹33,000 and an additional ₹70,000 in paytm vouchers, just by replying to some threads and taking part in the discussions happening in the Honor Hub?

What are you waiting for? Start commenting and start winning! Remember to read the instructions posted here.

Dismiss Notice

Windows Activation :: once and forever

Discussion in 'Software Q&A' started by choudang, Mar 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. choudang

choudang New Member

hi everybody.... after having a break.... i need a help very urgently... i have searched for the topic, but i didn't find out. if it is arlready here, plz paste the link.

i have installed Original XP Professional, and it needs to activation. so will activate it. but, let us take that after couple of days i need to re-install the OS. so how do i activate the XP without being online? i found somewhere that if we keep the activation file and later on we can activate the XP without going to online activation.

plz help.

PS: i have installed the OS in two diff HDD. and i need to activate the OS in both HDD.

2. Deep

Deep Version 2.0

3. dIgItaL_BrAt

dIgItaL_BrAt New Member

The activation files,namely
    wpa.dbl
    wpa.bak
    are stored in the system32 folder in the drive on which u have installed XP.Back up these 2 files to a safe location.

If u want to reactivate after reinstalling,restart in safe mode,navigate to the system32 folder,rename the newly created wpa.dbl and wpa.bak to wpa.abc or something.Replace these files with the ones u had backed up.
    Reboot.

4. OP
    OP
    choudang

choudang New Member

thank you guys.... but the installtion process should be same. i think, i should give the same name or same installation ID name in both HDD or when i re-installation. suppose i activated the os by xxx, if i will use zzz when re-installing, my prev activation will not work. m i right?

5. Deep

Deep Version 2.0

actually I guess this is what you have to do..once u install 2nd copy..it will ask ur to activate it..say no...it will give u few days to use it...so now...copy those activation files, paste it on ur system and reboot it..

so it wont ask u activation again since it has already one activation file on system...

6. dIgItaL_BrAt

dIgItaL_BrAt New Member

Not exactly,the activation is done by taking a hardware hash which is then sent to Microsoft.
    The 10 hardware characteristics used to determine the hardware hash are: Display Adapter, SCSI Adapter, IDE Adapter, Network Adapter MAC Address, RAM Amount Range (i.e. 0-64mb, 64-128mb, etc), Processor Type, Processor Serial Number, Hard Drive Device, Hard Drive Volume Serial Number, CD-ROM/CD-RW/DVD-ROM.

The Installation ID name does not figure anywhere in this list.

7. OP
    OP
    choudang

choudang New Member

tons of thanks to you both......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.