Windows 98 - Freeze Problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm On An Intel P4, 2.4GHz, 128MB RAM.
My Windows 98SE [Without Any Un-Official Service Pack] Freezes When I Leave It Idle Connected To Internet [Thru DialUp] While M Downloadin Somthin... I'm Using D Free ZoneAlarms' Latest Version... And No Virus Were Detected When I Scanned My System With Updated Definitions... :roll:

What Cud Be D Problem...? :?:

Drivers...!!?

Well D ScreenSaver Is Turned Off...
Modems' Already Updated So What More Drivers Shud I Update...???
Is There A Single Package That Consist Of All D Updates... AutoPatcher Has Some Problems Running On My System... Or Just Recommend D Updates That I Shud Download Considering The Above Problem...

BTW Currently Downloading All D Critical Security Updates From,
*www.microsoft.com/windows98/downloads/corporate.asp

g_goyal2000

Youngling
u should use windows update instead of downloading the updates from site, be it microsoft's own official site.

who knows, u may have installed unnecessary updates which may have overwritten some of u'r system files needed by softwares other than microsoft ones.

try using registry mechanic 4.x, microsoft regclean (it was basically designed for ms windows 95 but it still works wonders on win98 & further versions of windows) for registry cleanup/fixing.

use ad-aware 1.05 or newer version, spybot search & destroy 1.3 for removal of spywares/adwares, etc.

use pc-cillin 2002 9.06 as anti-virus. it's good & better than any version of norton antivirus/systemworks.

stalin

Journeyman
How many days Old is this 98 Installed?

Maybe after a lot of use, this computer, may have a lot of junk files created , which need to be cleared from time to time.

You may clear off all the temporary files, on your harddrive, either manually or with the help of some program.

Tune-Up Utilities.

at www.tune-up.com/download/tu2004/

Run the system Optimize on your computer, and then

Clear the invalid registry keys and junk files on your computer.

Maybe this could solve the problem.

Moreover, take a look at the startup processes again.

Also, take a look at your Task Manager, and look for something Unusual. There must be some program, that is surging your CPU usage for a moment, and consuming a lot of RAM, for that 6 seconds.

Fine...

It Has Been Hardly 15 Days Since I Re-Formatted And Installed Win98SE

Hmm... So Heres' What I'm Gonna Do Now...

# Download Updates From "Start Menu" > "Windows Update"

# Install An Anti-SpyWare [Yes, I Haven't Yet... I Thought I Cud Live Widout One But No... SpyBot N AdAware Here I Come...].

# Finally Use PC-Cillin [Need To Remove My Be-Loved AVG].

# Install Somethin Like System/Registry Mechanic.

And Den Let This Bother Me One More Time, I'll Switch To Linux Right Away... :!:

stalin

Journeyman
Check whether the CPU fan status . U could be having a freeze due to a non working fan which could be heating up the processor which in turn to protect the board being affected, freezes ur machine. This in most cases is the cause of this problem.

Hmm...

That Too Cud've Been A Problem... But Hey, D Fans' Workin Fine... Plus This Thing Happens Only When My System Is Idle While Somthin Is Being Downloaded... I've Used Win98SE Before... But Never Faced Dis Problem Ever... Nyways Thanks 4 Ur Replys' Guyz... :D

Darn...

Hmm... Nothin Helped...
And I've Noticed Dat D Sound Made By D Fan Goes On Increasing... From D Moment D System Boots...
So... Ny Suggestion, How Can I Control Dis...??? :roll:

expertno.1

Technomancer
sound made by fan increasing ?
this means that that fan is not working properly resulting in heating which causes hang ups !

open the cabinet and check the fan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom