1. Hey Guest Did you know you can win an Honor 10 phone worth ₹33,000 and an additional ₹70,000 in paytm vouchers, just by replying to some threads and taking part in the discussions happening in the Honor Hub?

What are you waiting for? Start commenting and start winning! Remember to read the instructions posted here.

Dismiss Notice

Window 98 sluggish

Discussion in 'Software Q&A' started by vickramperumal, Aug 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vickramperumal

vickramperumal New Member

Dear friends,
    I am using windows 98 with 1.7GHZ Pentium IV processor and 256MB SDRAM. I usually save HTML pages which are of interest for web design for viewing them offline. I have accumulated some 150 pages by now. The files were stored in Drive- E. not in OS Drive C . But my computer is now slowing down and my dial up speed too has dropped to half of original( From 45kb/s to 21KB/s ) . As the files are important I thought of keeping them. I zipped them and the problem temporarily solved. But again it has resurfaced. I reinstalled the Drive C through the backup ghost but still the problem persisted. I tried "CACHEMAN" with no improvement. Now I have burned the files to CD and deleted the HTML files from Hard Drive, but still the sluggish nature of my computer continues.I once again reinstalled the Drive C through the backup ghost but still the problem persists. I did disc defragment with Disc Keeper", ran scanreg/fix but all in vain. I had done AD-AWARE and SPY BOT runs on my computer. Still no result.
    I also have problem with multi tasking too. The computer freezes out. I had not added any new program . i.e. I still only have all the same program I had been using when the system was problem free and swift. I also have no problem with my phone line. I checked it. Will it be an icon catch problem? Can you guide me to come up with a solution to speed up my computer and netspeed.

2. OP
    OP
    vickramperumal

ADD on

I also run norton and Av anti virus

3. Kl@w-24

Kl@w-24 Slideshow Bob

Check what programs are runnning at startup ([Start]->[Run]->'msconfig'). Uncheck everything except 'systray' and 'explorer'. Reboot. Post result.

4. prankzter

prankzter New Member

U've got 2 b kidding me!! Running win 98 on THAT CONFIG????
    get real man!!!go in for win xp!

5. OP
    OP
    vickramperumal

Thankyou for your advice. But I dissabled start up as you have requested but it did not solve my problem.
    On first hand why I suspected that it may be due to the large number of HTML files in my hard disc is causing the problem?
    A few months back similar situation happened and net speed slowed down. By then I had accumulated some 200 programs "EXE files" I had downloaded from net. [ I was planning to write them to the CD. But as writing small chunks of MB to CD will consume more space I planned to write after I had accumulated some 350MB of programs.This has actually caused the accumulation.]. I don't know why the net has slowed down, but fortunately when I had burned the programs to the CD and deleted them from the hard disc the problem disappeared. Then I came to the conclusion that this may be due to the stored bulk of programs. I also learned about icon cache in CACHEMAN and concluded this may have been the problem.
    I d

6. Kl@w-24

Kl@w-24 Slideshow Bob

Do a virus scan. Maybe there was a virus-infected file among ur downloaded exe files and as a result th problem disappeared as soon as u deleted those files.

7. it_waaznt_me

it_waaznt_me Coming back to life ..

Please post your HijackThis Logfile for better assesment of your problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.