Windoes Vista Beta 2 build 5384 ... a smal review ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
I just installed the latest beta build of this upcoming OS .. registered it .. and once i solved all the issues i had with the drivers (some still exist) ... i've got only one thing to say .... "It's an awesome upgrade from WinXP ... not only visually , but in functionality too" .... too bad WinFS is not present in this release ..

The OS is visually enchanting , and infact requires some serious hardware specs to run properly ... for example i've tried it on three configs till now and here are my experience :

(i)Athlon64 2800+, Geforce 6200 128 MB, 512 MB DDR400, 80 GB PATA etc. etc. -- Well .. the OS loads in about 3 mins. , the interface is a bit sluggish with Aero , and its almost impossible to run multiple tasks simultaneosly without lag , specially noticeable while gaming ..

(ii)Pentium4 3.23 GHz (nonHT), Geforce 6600GT 128MB, 1 GB DDR400 , 120 GB PATA etc. etc. -- Much better , loads pretty quickly under a min. .. interface is smooth enough for any job , gaming is smooth , the only complain would be a bit slow interface (maybe due to that PATA)

(ii) My config -- runs awesome , no complains ... interface is smooth enough (though the little security popups eventually become annoying) ... no probs wil gaming ..

Overall , i hope this give a pretty good idea about what kind of a rig should be enough ... the one thing evident from my experience was the diff. in performance between SATA and PATA drives in this case ... the load times , access times do seem to be much less with SATA drives ..

Also ... this comes loaded with WMP 11 , and IE7 Beta 2 ... so u need not worry much anyway about net access and media ... Any regular WinXP user will not face any problem with the reaaranged interface , and functions ...

Anyway .. take a look at these ...

*img206.imageshack.us/img206/7425/11sy.th.jpg *img206.imageshack.us/img206/8792/23zm.th.jpg *img302.imageshack.us/img302/5117/32nb1.th.jpg *img325.imageshack.us/img325/8343/49gi.th.jpg

And about compatibility , i think most of the programs should run flawlessly under "WinXP SP2" compatibility mode ... so nothing to worry there .... but till now whatever i've tried works flawlessly without any compatability ...

OP
deathvirus_me

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
And a few more pics :

*img325.imageshack.us/img325/2349/56tl.th.jpg *img400.imageshack.us/img400/2549/10vt2.th.jpg *img509.imageshack.us/img509/1628/22iq.th.jpg *img360.imageshack.us/img360/5155/14dc.th.jpg

Netjunkie

In the zone
I am presently downloading it & i dont have a DVD Burner.
So if i extract the iso file, Is the installation possible from the hard disk?

PrinceHeart

In the zone
24 hrs past.. reported only 7 errors feedbacks with the programs which was unable to install/work(see below for the list).

Really cool interface and easy to use for a 10-90 yr old even (i suppose)
I think Microsoft is soon gonna rock this world !!

My PC Config:

Windoes Vista(TM) Beta 2 build 5384 (Evaluation Copy- Registered)
Intel Pentium 3.0GHz with HT
Intel Mobo 865GBF
RAM DDR2 1.0 GB
Nvidia 6800 Ultra 256 Graphics
80GB+40GB Seagate HDDs
Iomega Super DVD Drive

using 1% CPU when idle and goes upto 27% when browsing folders in HDD
Mem Usage 51%
and its really working good atm

If this beta works for me.. i would think about putting 1GB of extra RAM also.. if it helps.

So now the question is what works in this new beta release:
The programs that i have tested personally is as follows:

All drivers auto-detected except SoundMAX sound and CDMA modem.
Not enuff info in "dxdiag" for DirectX10.
"msconfig" got heaps of extra info".
IE7 - works magic .. sites loadings faster and specially with tab browsings as firefox. As i have also used firefox, think IE7 is more faster than that.

Only downside i have noticed yet is the "Permission".. Whenever u move/copy/delete/edit anything.. windows will ask for permission and confirmation(3 times) which is rather annoying after a while.

Working:

Java 2 Runtime Environment 1.5.0. Update 6
KLite Mega Codec 1.53
LimeWire Pro 4.12.0
mIRC 6.17
Nero 6.6.0.16
Winamp 5.21 FULL
Windows LIVE Messenger 8.0 build 8.0.0792.00
Yahoo Messenger 7 Build 0437
2007 Microsoft Office system Beta 2
Download Accelerator Plus 8.0.4.1

NOT Working (Not compatible/Doesn't Install/Don't work after Install):

McAfee VirusScan Professional Edition 7.03 Retail
Mcafee VirusScan Professional Edition 2006
Acrobat Reader 7.07
ImageResizer Powertoy Setup
TuneUp Utilities 2006 5.0.2331
ymsgr8us (8 beta)
ymsgr75us (7.5)

Hope these info helps.
Not submitting any screenshots.. cause its hard to capture the true accence of vista in images.. should be shown in video files.
For those users who loves winXP .. im 100% sure they will just ADORE WINvista.

Watching movies in WMP11 - is not a good experience yet.. the video is kinda blurry.. any suggestions ?

peace

Last edited:

techtronic

I Always Prefer 1080p
Can u send me the vista beta via post.
Am ready to bear the expenses

also how did u download it form the microsoft site.
what broadband conection do u have

Last edited:

PrinceHeart

In the zone
Got DVD for both 32 bits and 64 bits from microsoft through fedex in 6 days with Rs. 712. the DVD was free, i only pay for the shipping charges. I tried downloading through the microsoft website and it failed 4 times... so i got fedup and ordered the DVD instead.

I can send u the DVD of 32 bit or 64 bit whichever u want, but i will not share my product code, as i have already given it to 6 of my friends, so i don't know if they had given it to anyone else or not. Because I told everyone not to share.. but who listen eh :)

Last edited:

Mangal Pandey

Journeyman
Hey Deathvirus_Me one question for u - seeing ur 1st screenshot, I also connect to net via Airtel GPRS. I have N6630 & I'm connnecting it through Data Cable. but my problem when i installed Nokia PC suite 6.7 in & tried to connect the dialog box said "no phones connected" but it was actually other way round. could u plz help me out.

PrinceHeart

In the zone
Having problems with
and
LimeWire Pro 4.12.0
updated to LimeWire Pro 4.12.3 but still the same atm.

Opening a thread in Software Troubleshoot regarding what programs/softwares can/cannot be used with the new MS Vista Beta 2. Hope you all will follow through.

cheers

OP
deathvirus_me

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
Working:

KLite Mega Codec 1.53
LimeWire Pro 4.12.0
mIRC 6.17
Nero 6.6.0.16
Winamp 5.21 FULL

Acrobat Reader 7.07
ymsgr8us (8 beta)
ymsgr75us (7.5)

Ok .. herre are the apps i'm currently using on this build :

Yahoo Messenger 8 Beta
Firefox v3.0 A1 "Minefield"
Microsoft Office 2007 Beta 2
Winamp 5.24
TweakVista
BootVista

Didn't need anything else right now ... also the games that i've tiried and works are :

Timeshift
Far Cry

No conflicts yet .. though i'm not able to use NOD32 ... Also .. don't try any tweaking utility on Vista yet , unless they're specifically meant for it ..

I have N6630 & I'm connnecting it through Data Cable. but my problem when i installed Nokia PC suite 6.7 in & tried to connect the dialog box said "no phones connected" but it was actually other way round

In Vista ??? If so then i'd recommend u to manually install the drivers ...

Last edited:

arunks

Hey here is the aks
PrinceHeart said:
Got DVD for both 32 bits and 64 bits from microsoft through fedex in 6 days with Rs. 712. the DVD was free, i only pay for the shipping charges. I tried downloading through the microsoft website and it failed 4 times... so i got fedup and ordered the DVD instead.

I can send u the DVD of 32 bit or 64 bit whichever u want, but i will not share my product code, as i have already given it to 6 of my friends, so i don't know if they had given it to anyone else or not. Because I told everyone not to share.. but who listen eh :)

can u plz send me a dvd for 32 bit vista beta..i cant download either..

so plz reply if u can.

i will be very thankful to u..

PrinceHeart

In the zone
Not advertising here but kindly browse this thread also:
** Working/Not-Working Programs with VISTA BETA 2 **
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32107

deathvirus_me - a suggestion: would be helpful if u can post in that thread also and edit your post in this thread if u want.

desmataks : Sorry, I can't post you the dvd to you as of now, as my dvd writter is not working. The blank dvd will cost around 30/- and courier anywhere in india, i think it would be around 30/- to 40/- . And as i have told earlier, i can't send u the product key. So make sure you have the product key 1st, before i can send u the dvd. It will take me around 2-3 weeks before i can send u the dvd(sorry, my exams starts soon)

cheerz

knight17

In the zone
Thanks for nice post.
Here is the official Windows Vista Blog *blogs.technet.com/windowsvista/
This one is also good *microsoftvista2006.blogspot.com/

PrinceHeart

In the zone
knight17 - thanks for sharing these blog sites.
added to my fav. and will be a good stuff to read online sometimes to gain more knowledge about this beta release of windows.

PrinceHeart said:
24 hrs past.. reported only 7 errors feedbacks with the programs which was unable to install/work(see below for the list).

Really cool interface and easy to use for a 10-90 yr old even (i suppose)
I think Microsoft is soon gonna rock this world !!

My PC Config:

Windoes Vista(TM) Beta 2 build 5384 (Evaluation Copy- Registered)
Intel Pentium 3.0GHz with HT
Intel Mobo 865GBF
RAM DDR2 1.0 GB
Nvidia 6800 Ultra 256 Graphics
80GB+40GB Seagate HDDs
Iomega Super DVD Drive

using 1% CPU when idle and goes upto 27% when browsing folders in HDD
Mem Usage 51%
and its really working good atm

If this beta works for me.. i would think about putting 1GB of extra RAM also.. if it helps.

So now the question is what works in this new beta release:
The programs that i have tested personally is as follows:

All drivers auto-detected except SoundMAX sound and CDMA modem.
Not enuff info in "dxdiag" for DirectX10.
"msconfig" got heaps of extra info".
IE7 - works magic .. sites loadings faster and specially with tab browsings as firefox. As i have also used firefox, think IE7 is more faster than that.

Only downside i have noticed yet is the "Permission".. Whenever u move/copy/delete/edit anything.. windows will ask for permission and confirmation(3 times) which is rather annoying after a while.

Working:

KLite Mega Codec 1.53
LimeWire Pro 4.12.0
mIRC 6.17
Nero 6.6.0.16
Winamp 5.21 FULL

Acrobat Reader 7.07
ymsgr8us (8 beta)
ymsgr75us (7.5)

Hope these info helps.
Not submitting any screenshots.. cause its hard to capture the true accence of vista in images.. should be shown in video files.
For those users who loves winXP .. im 100% sure they will just ADORE WINvista.

Watching movies in WMP11 - is not a good experience yet.. the video is kinda blurry.. any suggestions ?

peace
i got downloaded from microsoft but the setup giver an error while installing vista beta 2..............so i downloaded vista 5456 .....is there any difference between 5384 and 5456...........can u send me by post windows vista beta 2 ......pm to me......thx

PrinceHeart

In the zone
I got the Vista Beta 2 in DVD - YES. But as i post earlier, my exams are due anytime now within couple of weeks, so i can't send them now.

The best way is to search in your own city, with friends and their freinds or even post it here which city you're in with your request, so that other forum members from the same city can see and response accordingly.

And i havn't use diff. versions. Just using the present one. But as deathvirus_me said - it would be surely some minor/major bug fixes... who knows MS might bring up Beta 3 before launching the released version of VISTA in the market for end users.

cheerz

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom