Winamp Goof Up ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

thrash_metal

In the zone
This is wht happened when i was playin a song in winamp . i paused at the last second then ... c the image and u will understand ! The track is of 6:35 and winamp is showing me 6:43 !! Where did these extra seconds come from ???

*www.geocities.com/cheeky_rockstar/digit/winamp1.jpg

a_to_z123

asia://india/ka/bangalore
Well I also have some songs which show more time in the playlist than in the seek bar!

Well I dunno what's the problem, but I think its a bug in one of the DLL files of Winamp.

If u set the time to countdown then when the song starts, the time rushes quickly and comes to the current time!

Can someone enlighten us!

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Its cause the file you are playing is a VBR (Variable Bitrate) file. The exact playing time of a VBR cannot be calculated!

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
May be these extra seconds r for playing delay the song.
I think Winamp has a feature of Crossfade, which adds predefined time delay between each track.

legolas

Padawan
Vishal Gupta said:
May be these extra seconds r for playing delay the song.
I think Winamp has a feature of Crossfade, which adds predefined time delay between each track.

that actually lowers the sound of the current track u r playing that many seconds before it ends... it cant in anywyas get extended by time > the track time. I guess a reasonable answer is with the VBR ???? but r all audio files vbr?

/legolas

expertno.1

Technomancer
Hi legolas

but r all audio files vbr?

No all files are not vbr

At the time of encoding the file you have to choose which one i.e
1)CBR
2)VBR

and in this case its VBR thats why its shwoing like this

This is wht happened when i was playin a song in winamp . i paused at the last second then ... c the image and u will understand ! The track is of 6:35 and winamp is showing me 6:43 !! Where did these extra seconds come from ???

did you tried it again ?
did it happend again ?
please psot here

Thanks
Regards...
Expertno.1

kalpik

@ expertno.1: There is also ABR! (Average Bitrate).

And im pretty damn sure that the discrepancy in the playing time is due to VBR.

Ok... lemme explain. :p

say u have an MP3 encoded @ 128 kbps. Then, for every second of audio in the track, the file will take 128 kilo bits. Thus you can calculate the playing time by knowing the file size. For example, if the file size is 1280 kilo bits, then the playing time is 10 seconds. This is the case of CBR (Constant Bitrate).

In case of VBR, the bitrate keeps on changing, so you cannot be very sure of the playing time, by looking at the file size.

kalpik

Sometimes the header is corrupt (the place where all the information about the MP3 is stored) so it will play just well.

q3_abhi

Youngling
This happened with me when i converted .RM files to .MP3. 3 min song was shown as 17 min song.
This was becoz i encoded them to VBR.

OP
T

thrash_metal

In the zone
Actually i tried doing the same thing again -- pausing at the last min but it showed 6:32 the error didnt repeat ! I dont think that the file/header is corrupt ! maybe a problem with winamp itself !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom