Win98SE or WinXPHome or WinXP Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

rakhunathan

Broken In
I am using Win 98SE for long number of years.It is okay,but for some minor problems. Is it advisable to go for Win XP.If yes which is better Home or pro?I mainly use my PC for mail,internet,office work,music and videos.
Thanks

shyam911

Journeyman
WinXp pro with sp2 is a good choice. But make sure you have at least 256MB of RAM coz win xp is a bit resource hungry.

_lordJaz

Right off the assembly line
Ya, WinXp Pro + sp2 is the best choice. But if you are planning to buy one of these then you can go for WinXp Home Edition also. I think there is quite a difference between their prices.

expertno.1

Technomancer
for all the multimedia activities which u have mentioned i think u must have more than 256 mb ram

so must go for WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL WITH SERVICE PACK 2

ALSO TRY TO GET AUTOPATCHER

mohit

The Hardware Labs
Win XP is much much better than Win 98 ... better experience it before longhorn arrives :D ... make sure you have min 256 mb ram for xp to run smoothly and also patch it up with sp2 and all the updates. i am using xp home edition and it is much faster than the professional edition , i got it for 3500/- .

Journeyman
I had my own funeral for Win98 3 yrs back. I hv been using WinXP Pro, now with SP2. It's much better than 98 as I recall.
For your needs, Win XP home is also enough. Please make sure that you have 256 RAM, as everyone says. As it is the recommended amount, and enjoy your surfing, and mailing and videos.

Btw - you should mentioned your System Specs? No?

D

Deleted member 5901

Hey Go in for either win xp Pro or home with SP2 will not matter much in ur case !!!

Try A minumum of 384 MB AS it is recomended with Service PACK 2 ~~!!! And Its the Minimum Requirement For LONGHORN !!!

So think about It !!!

CHEERS !!!!

abhishek_734

Broken In
Go for windows xp pro with sp2 as it is far better than win 98 in almost all fields.however you can also go for dual boot with both 98 and xp.but i think it will be just a wastage of memory space for you.i have got 98,2000 and xp on my computer and i don't remember when i last used 98.i have only 128 mb of ram so my xp is a bit sluggish but due to its design i like it.however,for most of my work i use win 2000 as it gives me a good response with my 128 mb ram.

COLDROCK

Broken In
Hey dude go for Windows XP Professional, Install SP2 & the May 2005 Auto Patcher for XP. It is damn good, & secure, comapred to others.

I stopped using 98 in 2002, but i am using XP Pro from Nov 2001 & XP Home from Jan 2002, i prefer XP PRo, i have installed it in my PC, Home edition is on my a laptop, but will go for Longhorn instead of upgrading this.

COLDROCK

Broken In
& yes i forgot, i advise u to go for 512 Mb DDR Ram, it is good & very fast, escpecially for most of what u are doing, & will be more helpful if u want to edit ur videos.

kumarmohit

Technomancer
Homw is better suited if u have single processor pc where as if you have more than 1 processors or HT than Pro is only version for u Difference bw the 2 are negligible

D

Deleted member 5901

GEt ur self 512mb ddr 400 !! And win xp or Home very few differences !!!!

Cheers !!!

bendre123

Broken In
from last 6 month i am using window xp pro.
it does not give any problem to me.
i think u better go for window xp pro.
it has lots features and better look.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom