.: Win98 SE shutdown problem... HELLLP!!! :.

Status
Not open for further replies.

akash_bhavsar

Broken In
I have an Intel Pentium IV 3.0 GHz powered PC with 80 GB HDD, DVD writer, 512 megs of RAM and 128MB GeForce FX 5200 Graphics card. I have 4 hard drive partitions with XP as the main OS in drive C. I have installed Win98 SE on drive F. The problem that i'm facing is that i just cannot shutdown Win98. It hangs with the skyblue coloured screen that says "Please wait while Windows shuts down"! I have downloaded each and every patch that's available from Microsoft, including the shutdown supplement for Win98 SE. I have tried each and every possible solution available on the net, but it still refuses to shutdown! Any takers for this???

aditya169

Journeyman

just give the shutdown command and leave the computer alone it may take 2 hours but leave it how it is , i mean just give the command and see after 2 hours has it been off or not

OP
A

akash_bhavsar

Broken In
Arey, i did that one day! But i never saw those orange fonts that say "It's now safe to turn off your computer." The computer seems to just freeze at that blue screen! And the problem is that i have to turn the power off then, and scandisk runs when i start my PC again! :(

saROMan

QA Juggler
i hope u dont have norton installed..coz normally it happens that norton does not shut down properly in 98 .....

OP
A

akash_bhavsar

Broken In
Nopes! No Norton! I had Avast. But i read somewhere that it could cause problems with shutdown! And i uninstalled even that! But still the damn thing doesn't shut down!

bhanu

Right off the assembly line
Win98 SE shutdown problem...

try this!!!

create a shortcut on the desktop

For Shutdown, the command is
C:\WINDOWS\RUNDLL.EXE user.exe,exitwindows

this has been working for me fine and shuts down spontaneously regularly.

expertno.1

Technomancer
ur answer

now for ur problem

visit here

*www.exuberant.ms11.net/98sesp.html
*www.webtechgeek.com/Windows-Software-Review-Download-246.htm

the only solutio is to reinstall win 98 or to have a third party upgrade since microsoft has disabled updating patches for 98

*www.help.lockergnome.com/index.php?showtopic=34025

think solve ur problem

use sytem mechanic to heal registry

place a Hijackthis log here to see if any spyware is not alowing to shut down

post here for more

godsownman

Padawan
-> expert no.1 he says he has uninstalled avast and also tried.

This looks like a real tricky problem.

Do let us know the solution if you come accross one.

Try reloading Windows if all else fails

aadipa

Padawan
Install Win98SE UNOfficial Service Pack

Current version is 2.0.1.

It has lot of bug fixes for Win98SE

Also have a look at WINDOWS SHUTDOWN & RESTART CENTER

OP
A

akash_bhavsar

Broken In
bhanu - Tried that! Doesn't work! :cry:

expertno.1 - I have already uninstalled Avast!

godsownman - I have re-installed Windows because of this problem almost 3-4 times!!!

aadipa - I downloaded and installed that service pack right now! Unfortunately, even that does not work! :x

Okay, now in these efforts, i just figured that the computer shuts down properly when i shut it down from safe mode. But when in normal mode, the problem persists. Anyone with the wildest idea what's wrong with this dumb thing??? :x

saROMan

QA Juggler
hey if u have the 98 CD then there is a small tool given to montior ur Shutdown/Startup ..and give the log of activities..plz go thru ur Win98 CD .and see f its ther....i dont remember the name..but its there ..i have used it...

aadipa

Padawan
I faced same problem when P4 was installed on i865GBF mobo with intel chipset drivers.

May be some confict, but Win98SE was not shutting down. So finally had to run it without drivers :roll: .

Did you tried the Aumha link I gave in last post?

aadipa

Padawan
saROMan said:
hey if u have the 98 CD then there is a small tool given to montior ur Shutdown/Startup ..and give the log of activities..plz go thru ur Win98 CD .and see f its ther....i dont remember the name..but its there ..i have used it...

Are you talking about BootVis :?:

OP
A

akash_bhavsar

Broken In
saROMan - Can u gimme the name please???

aadipa - Hey, a strong point to be noted here is that i have that same motherboard!!! Intel D865GBF... :eek:
I think i am supposed to do exactly what u did to solve the problem! I have already tried almost all the solutions on that Aumha link too! I'm waiting for your reply!

saROMan

QA Juggler
No ist not Bootvis...bootvis is for XP am talkin bout 98 .....

damn have gone thru my 98 a and 98 SE CD's thuroughly,.but cudnt find it.... :(

bro..will search again later ..

aadipa

Padawan
akash_bhavsar said:
aadipa - Hey, a strong point to be noted here is that i have that same motherboard!!! Intel D865GBF... :eek:
I think i am supposed to do exactly what u did to solve the problem! I have already tried almost all the solutions on that Aumha link too! I'm waiting for your reply!

I faced that problem when all of out PCs (HCL - I was working with HCL at that time) while installing at Planet M, Thane (one of out customer for POS software which I was handling). After spending nearly 10 hrs on that problem, and around 5 to 6 reinstalls, I gave up and asked those PlanetM ppl to get license of WinXP.

So no solution for me :(

compusucker

Right off the assembly line
hi aadipa,
thank you for your Win98SE UNOfficial Service Pack link
i was eagerly waiting for it
this really helps
god bless you

mr_356

Broken In
aadipa said:
I faced same problem when P4 was installed on i865GBF mobo with intel chipset drivers.

May be some confict, but Win98SE was not shutting down. So finally had to run it without drivers :roll: .

Did you tried the Aumha link I gave in last post?

oh..
i hav same mobo and i hav same problem too.
first when i insall win98 than first time it shut down properly :D
after installation of drivers with intel's driver cd i m facing problem? :cry:

OP
A

akash_bhavsar

Broken In
mr_356 - Hey, any solution you've got??? Or u use it as it is? Will it work if i re-install Win98 and don't install the Intel drivers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom