WIN XP Starter Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarvesh

Journeyman
Hi,

I have heard about the release of win xp starter edition in india to stop piracy. I have a few questions.

Is it worth buying ?

What is the street price and where can I get in mumbai ?

Is it upgradable to xp Pro or vista in future if desired so ?

Is the version scaled down - if so what all features have been removed ?

Should one go for WIN XP HOME instead ?

I am planning to test a copy and write review. But I have read a few reviews which are discouraging. So investing into it just to testing is of no use unless I get positive feedback.

Looking for response

premsharma

In the zone
It is arround Rs 1500 but useless. Should have been worth 300. It is scaled down version.

If MS wants to stop piracy then, costing of their OS has to be Vista@ 1000, XP @ 500 but not for corporates. Otherwise piracy will go on.

OP
Sarvesh

Sarvesh

Journeyman
I think Microsoft should bundle xp with motherboards (restricting it to personal use) by negotiating with the manufacturers as it will help them to recover some evenue as well as stop piracy also.

And it seems I should not waiste my money on Starter edition.

thanx

Vyasram

The pWnster
^^^ a lot of users use linux, for them win xp is of no use, bundling it with mb isn't a good (read insane) solution to stop piracy

if u are definitely gonna buy windows, try win xp home

OP
Sarvesh

Sarvesh

Journeyman
There is so many versions of linux. Which is the best and easy to use..? and what about the applications I am already using in windows...?

What drivers are compatible...?

I can try linux on one of my comp.

But can't stop using win xp...

Infact I am planning to switch to Vista....Let the price go down and fixes made.

thanx

saurabh.sauron

Ambassador of Buzz
XP Starter is money waste. Bizarre limitations. you can have max. applications running. resolution is also limited and it cant accept incoming connections. this in no way is going to stop piracy. it's going to further it. It is pointless. The vista starter also carries the same limitations.

assasin

Banned
The starter edition also has a limit on what hardware u can use it.U cant install it on a mid/high end pc.It supports max addressable ram of 256 MB,doesnt support dual core proccy and afaik it doesnt support good gfx cads.U can hav only 3 (max) apps running at any given moment.So in one word its a piece of CRAP.

planetcall

Indian by heart
One Firewall, One Antivirus, and One Browser...........all open. Now you cant open anything else. Lol that is what starter edition is all about. PigShit !*us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons/36.gif

OP
Sarvesh

Sarvesh

Journeyman
It seems that WIN XP starter edition is not even a version one can use as demo or trial - since it has so many restrictions. If you can't run more than three applications - i wonder how can one work - since these days we are addict to multitasking and keep the window running in the background even if we don't need it immediately. Layman must be made aware of this crap.

T

thunderbird.117

Sarvesh said:
I think Microsoft should bundle xp with motherboards (restricting it to personal use) by negotiating with the manufacturers as it will help them to recover some evenue as well as stop piracy also.

And it seems I should not waiste my money on Starter edition.

thanx

Yea right. It was done before. Customers will not buy it. Because it is irriating when it come to things like that. Customers are already facing problem that pirates are not facing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom