I suggest u to:

• KEEP WIN 98...might cum handy!!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bala4digit

Journeyman
Hi guys...iam gonna install win xp pro with sp2....so pls suggest shud i keep win 98 or do it without win98!!

my main use of pc is office,internet nd playing latest games!!

HELP!!! :)

BYE!!! :)

------MOJOJOJO-----

sknowonweb

Journeyman
Keep 98

Use XP for Games Net and Office. But Internet is a good source for viruses to transmit no matter how hard ur security is.And few h/w and s/w related problems discussed in these forums point out XPs failure at many chances.If u are having a backup software to back u up in saving data during sys crashes then u can rely on win XP alone.Else untill u warm up with these issues install 98 in a partition to help u recover ur situation during crisis.

Important fact is 98 will not recogniose NTFS partitions.so if u want to use 98 as a failsafe ur critical datas must be in a Fat 32 partition. Strangely few latest software wont work in fta32 they need ntfs to run.Decide on yourself.

OP
bala4digit

bala4digit

Journeyman
Re: Keep 98

sknowonweb said:
Use XP for Games Net and Office. But Internet is a good source for viruses to transmit no matter how hard ur security is.And few h/w and s/w related problems discussed in these forums point out XPs failure at many chances.If u are having a backup software to back u up in saving data during sys crashes then u can rely on win XP alone.Else untill u warm up with these issues install 98 in a partition to help u recover ur situation during crisis.

Important fact is 98 will not recogniose NTFS partitions.so if u want to use 98 as a failsafe ur critical datas must be in a Fat 32 partition. Strangely few latest software wont work in fta32 they need ntfs to run.Decide on yourself.

backup???....wat to backup ....da registry???.....will spybot backup will do or else...suggest me a gud backup sftwr!!!

wat's NTFS nd FAT32 partition>????

theraven

Technomancer
NTFS and FAT32 are filetypes
FAT32 is the older one and ofcourse win98 supports it
but it doesnt support NTFS
the differences are posted on the forum u will just have to search
NTFS is better
and so is winxo SP2 if used correctly
if ur happy with 98 then cool
but if u really watn winxp then theres really no point in keepin win98 i feel
so just go ahead and format ur disk using ntfs file system and install winxp
the option to format using ntfs filesystem will be there when u are installin winxp as a fresh isntall or booting from the setup cd to install

valtea

In the zone
I recomend a fresh install of winXP in a NTFS file format and keep the other drives in FAT32 (just in case something goes wrong).

Personally what i do is i partition my HDD into 4 drives. C is NTFS with winXP installed. the rest are fat32 so that if anything goes wrong i can access mt HDD with a boot disk. And i have a working Ghost file for win98 (clean install with my drivers) and XP (clean install with my drivers.

You may try this too.

satbir

Broken In
mojo................ if u have an old sys.............. like a p2 or earlier................ i strongly recommend that u stick to windows 98 as xp will run damn slow on such a sys............ otherwise........... win xp is not a prob( if u r a proud owner of a P IV). And ya FAT stands for File Allocation Table......... it maintains a record of all the files stored on ur disk into a table........... NTFS is New Technology File System......... it is faster than FAT..... supports compression and more secure.......... and as theraven said ........ Win 98 does not support NTFS

OP
bala4digit

bala4digit

Journeyman
iam having p4 nd 256 ram ....so system won't be a problem...i want those commands???!!!

BYE!!!

-MOJOJOJO-

suman2005

Broken In
I have 2 HDD as NTFS and an external USB HDD which has Win98SE installed - on this drive I have the freeware READNTFS.EXE which lets me access the NTFS drives from Win98SE or the DOS Prompt. On the external USB drive I have Ghost installed and via DOS batch files I can make backup images of the HDDs. Recently I have changed to Acronis True Image which I find much better than Ghost for backups - I run Acronis off a bootable CDR.

OP
bala4digit

bala4digit

Journeyman
so u suggest me 2 hav win 98 too and an back up by acronis....rite???....can any1 explain wat's an backup cd.....wat does it do....how to make it? nd how to use it???

HELP PLSS!!! :)

BYE!!

-MOJOJOJO-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom