Win XP not installing.Please Help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Netjunkie

In the zone
I initially had win XP & PCQlinux 2005 running on my computer.A few days back something happened & the bootloader(GRUB) corrupted,I could not boot into any of the OS.I used the PCQ installation cd & gave the commands "linux rescue" & "grub-install /dev/hda" which installed a fresh GRUB on my MBR.But i still could not boot into Windows XP.

Now when I use the windows XP CD to reinstall XP & try to boot from it installation stops at "Set up is examining your hardware configuration",It does not proceed any further.How do i install XP now?.

Please somebody help me out of this.

swatkat

Technomancer
Does the GRUB menu show the Windows option in the Boot menu?
If Windows is listed in boot menu, what happens when you choose it?
Can you boot into Linux? If yes, backup/copy the data from Windows partitions to the Linux partition.

OP
Netjunkie

Netjunkie

In the zone
Yes there is windows listed

when i choose it it says hal.dll missing.I restored it. The next time i boot into it it said some other file missing,I restored even that.but still cant boot into windows.

Yes i can boot into linux,but all my other partitions r in NTFS & i cant write into them.

As krishnathelord says I think i will have to repartition.

swatkat

Technomancer
Try this,
Boot from your CD and follow the directions to start Recovery Console. Then type these commands and press ENTER after each one of them:-

Attrib -H -R -S C:\Boot.ini
DEL C:\Boot.ini
BootCfg /Rebuild
Fixboot
source

adit_sen

In the zone
mayb there is something worng wit ur GRUB bootloader. boot up to dos using a boot disk and type - 'format /mbr'. then the boot sequence would go straight to winxp...

OP
Netjunkie

Netjunkie

In the zone
Finally I solved it.

Actually the linux partitions were corrupted.But strangely i could still boot into linux.I used PQMagic Dos to convert one of my NTFS drives to FAT32.I backed up all the required data on the linux partition onto it and deleted the Boot,Root & Swap Partitions.
Then i could install Windows XP without any problem.

Thanks a ton for the help guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom