WIN XP installation...

Status
Not open for further replies.

//siddhartha//

Stabbing my shoe
Hi! Guys, My problem is a bit long, so read patiently...
Firstly, I had Win XP Home (legal) installed on my comp. But, due to a virus the whole system crashed.. My frnd came and installed a copy of Win XP Pro (pirated) I was not aware of legal/illegal at that time... But, when I became aware, I decided to format my hard drive and install my own WIN XP HOME... I took the comp to my computer dealer and asked him to do the installations..But then he could not format the hard disk due to presence of bad sectors and hence, he installed the WIN XP HOME on another drive (i.e. D:, my "win xp pro pirated" is on C: ) So, whenever, I start my comp, it first aske me to choose the operating system.. WIN XP HOME or WIN XP PRO...
Can you guys help me in manipulating the boot.ini or other system files, so that the the comp does not ask which O.S. to start during booting? If I succeed in that, I can delete all the files of C:, format it and thus, only WIN XP HOME (legal) will remain.. I wish to get rid of WIN XP PRO (illegal) as soon as possible..
Thanks, Siddhartha :idea:

LordDJ

Broken In
first things first. BUY A NEW HDD! ymmv but I hav'nt livd long a hdd with bad sectors.

But then he could not format the hard disk due to presence of bad sectors
hmm dont know why. But its possible to format a hdd wit bad sectors.

now for ur prob. No guarantees. but shud work. :twisted:

first make a copy of boot.ini (found on ur root c:\) It might be a hidden readonly file.

now edit the file boot.ini in notepad (turn off word wrap) and remove the line

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

ps: the partion number will be diff.

save and restart.

or optinally u can edit the default line to point to ur home edition and change the time out to 0. That way u wont get the prompt. And u can safley delete ur winxp pro folder.

all the best. See how well u screw up :twisted: :x :D
regards.

swatkat

Technomancer
In multiple OS environment, windows require some of the files to be present in the active partition..
these files r:-
1]ntldr
2]boot.ini
3]bootsect.dos, this will be present in the active partition only if real mode DOS is present
4]ntdetect.com
5]ntbootdd.sys this file will be present only if SCSI drives r there

Probably in ur system, u will find only ntldr, boot.ini, ntdetect.com files in ur C:\ Drive, since it is the active partition in ur system...

So by simply altering the Boot.ini file and formatting the C: drive will not solve ur problem....

Delete all files in C:\ drive except above mentioned files and edit Boot.ini to directly boot into XP home (without asking for options)
For this u have to delete the line which goes something like this, in boot.ini file:-
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINNT="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
After this, u should keep above mentioned files in C: drive only....
it's better u first post ur boot.ini file's content here, before deleting, just to make sure that u will be deleting the correct line

Tech&ME

Banned
Ok there is other ways of doing this.
First clean the C: drive by logining in to the Windows XP Home and run CHKDSK (check disk) to do this in the My Computer right the C: drive and choose Properties and then go to Tools tab --> Check Now.

NEXT Now try to install the Windows XP Home on the C: drive to do this do the following.

Step 1: Boot your computer press the <DEL> key to enter setup during bootup, set to boot from the CD-Rom drive. Save and Exit setup. Insert the Window XP HOME installation CD and then Restart.

Step 2: Press the any key when asked to do so to boot from the CD.

Step 3: Installtion CD will automatically load drives and set environment for installtion , accept the EULA and do the partition (choose C:) and allow the installtion to format it as NTFS (full format) and processed with the installtion, answer the questions asked during installtion.

Step 4: U are done.

(NOTE: Do not press any key the second time your computer automatically re-starts after showing a message that it will re-start after 15 seconds. Leave the system do what ever it wants don't touch your keyboard this time.)

If in case u still cannot install Windows XP Home on the C: drive there is one more way to do this ( this method will work even if the MBR is corrupted or the harddisk has bad sectors ).

For this type of install u will have to first prepare your computer for such an installtion. Do not delete anything from your computer.

Step 1: Log on to your already installed Windows XP Home (D: drive).

Step 2: Connect your PC to the internet and go to the Microsoft Website.

Step 3: Visit the following link and download the setup utility (click here).

Step 4: After u download get yourself a set of 6 New Floppies (IBM Pre-Formatted ) label the floppies 1 to 6.

Step 5: Run the downloaded file , when asked insert the floppies one by one do remember to insert according to the number you gave to the floppies this is important here.

Step 6: Go the BIOS/CMOS setup by restarting your PC and set the system to boot from the floppy ( allow bootable floppy seek). Now insert the first floppy and re-start your PC.

Step 7: U will see the SETUP screen similar to the one when you use the installtion CD, do as instructed on your screen and insert the floppies one after the other (in order) as and when asked to do so.

Step 8: Finally insert the installtion CD of Windows XP Home and press enter when u are asked to do so.

Step 9: Rest of the installtion is similar and u can install the OS now.

Step 10: Once u successfully install Windows XP Home on the C: drive, format the D: drive to free it up.

Note: BACKUP your important data before installing.

Hope this will help u out. Please tell me it helped or not.

OP
S

//siddhartha//

Stabbing my shoe
My boot.ini file that is present in D:/ (the drive on which Win XP Home is installed) is as follows:
---------------------------------------------

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
C:\="Microsoft Windows"

----------------------------

The last line which says Microsoft Windows is simply DOS...
Hemp me yaar...
Regards, Siddhartha

borg

In the zone
delete the second line-
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

swatkat

Technomancer
//siddhartha// said:
My boot.ini file that is present in D:/ (the drive on which Win XP Home is installed) is as follows:
---------------------------------------------

[boot loader]
timeout=30
1--->default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
2--->multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
3--->multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
4--->C:\="Microsoft Windows"

----------------------------
The last line which says Microsoft Windows is simply DOS...
Hemp me yaar...
Regards, Siddhartha

ha...ur Active partition is D:\, now the job is easier...

1 & 2]This is the default OS which will be highlighted/selected during the boot option display...it says, WinXP Home present in partition 2, that is D: drive, and has system files in WINDOWS directory in D: drive..

3]This line says that WinXP Pro is in Partition 1, that is C: drive, and has system files in WINDOWS directory in C:\ drive...

4]The last line C:\="Microsoft Windows" is used when u have Win98 in C:\ drive, and it is displayed in the boot option..
but since u dont have Win98, it has nothing to do here, it should be present if OSes like Win98/WinME were there during installation....it is a reference to ntldr (ntloader) to load the Win9X/ME boot loader from file bootsect.dos , if u were to select Win9X/ME from options list...did u had Win98 previously in C:\ drive?

And in boot.ini, u delete the line, which is in bold letters in ur boot.ini file quoted above....
Then u can format the whole C:\ drive, as all the files required for booting r in D:\ drive...

just click my computer
properties and then advanced
there will be an option of startupandrecovery
go to the settings then choose the windows on which you wanna work
after choosing the windows,there uncheck the option "time ti display windows option
then restart,now your pc will be booted to winhome directly rather than choosing,a easy option i think this is!!!!!!!!!

khattam_

Fresh Stock Since 2005
Best Idea!!

This is the best idea. Don't listen to all the crap. Just follow the instructions i have provided. However, you may consult a technician about if my idea will work without damaging your system. However, take a precaution of backing up your important data.

>>Boot into the computer with Windows 98 disk, floppy or CD. You can prepare 98 boot diskette on any comp. using 98.
>>Format C:
>>Restart
>>Boot with oyur XP CD
>>Go for the repair by pressing 'R'.
>>type in the administrator password. Now in command prompt type 'Bootcfg' and it scans for XP installations. It will prompt you to type the name for XP setup. Give any name.
>>Now reboot.
>>Now, don't go for the repair, go for the setup.
>>Now, XP setup will ask if you would like to repair older installation.
>>Now, repairing will be done.
>>It'll take as long time as installation does but your configuration and data will be unchanged.

swatkat

Technomancer
How do we rate ideas as best or worst here???.....
Bootcfg configures/queries/changes Boot.ini file settings....and it's the same as deleting the WinXP Pro entry int the boot.ini file manually.....

Tech&ME

Banned
Well I think the idea of editing the boot.ini file of the D: drive will not help anyways, because by the thumb rule in Microsoft Windows Operating System and the Bios in generally only allows you to boot an operating system from the FIRST PRIMARY PARTITION of an harddisk FIRST, i.e. the reason you get that boot menu from the C: drive's Operating System in this case.

Just by deleting the reference to the C:drive windows and then FORMATTING the C: drive will not help. If u still want to delete that reference to C: drive windows you will have to retain the files boot.ini, ntdetect.com, etc which are hidden files in the C: drive.(and in this case edit the boot.ini file of the C: drive and not the D: drive.) Which means u cannot format the C: drive. This method is not preferred hence I suggested to install the HOME edition of XP on the C: drive (see my previous thread in the topic ).

Tech&ME

Banned
Well I think the idea of editing the boot.ini file of the D: drive will not help anyways, because by the thumb rule in Microsoft Windows Operating System and the Bios in generally only allows you to boot an operating system from the FIRST PRIMARY PARTITION of an harddisk FIRST, i.e. the reason you get that boot menu from the C: drive's Operating System in this case.

Just by deleting the reference to the C:drive windows and then FORMATTING the C: drive will not help. If u still want to delete that reference to C: drive windows you will have to retain the files boot.ini, ntdetect.com, etc which are hidden files in the C: drive.(and in this case edit the boot.ini file of the C: drive and not the D: drive.) Which means u cannot format the C: drive. This method is not preferred hence I suggested to install the HOME edition of XP on the C: drive (see my previous thread in the topic ).

And Mr. khattam_ just give your opinion here and I guess tell what is best or worst is not the correct way of posting replies, how could you be so smart ?

swatkat

Technomancer
@//siddhartha// , can u do one thing.....
1]ntldr
2]boot.ini
3]bootsect.dos.....this may not be in ur system
4]ntdetect.com
5]ntbootdd.sys.....this may not be in ur system

look where r these files in ur computer (in which drive) and post it here....

smt_malhotra

Broken In
Right click on My Computer select properties, go to Advanced
Select Settings... under Startup and Recovery
Click Edit and delete the complete line of OS which u dont want to appear
at startup

swatkat

Technomancer
that's not that simple, if D:\ drive is Extended Logical Drive, the MBR can not load the Boot Sector of D:\ Drive...actually the Partition Boot Sector of a Extended Logical Drive does not contain Booting Programs at all....that's why i am asking him where is the files needed for booting....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom