Win XP Installation Trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

whoopy_whale

Journeyman
My CD drive was not working perfectly for some days.When I try to read a CD it will show an error message saying that I should clean the drive.This message came occasionaly only.
When a friend of mine gave me a Win XP CD,I tried to install it.While the installation was in progress,when the files were being copied,the drive stopped reading and I had to exit setup.The drive never worked again.
My trouble is that when I boot the system,two choices are there.
Windows XP professional setup
Windows 98
The highlighted portion is that of XP setup and the waiting period is less than 5 seconds.I some times forget to switch the choice to Windows 98 and the Win XP setup starts.
How can I remove the Windows XP Professional setup from my boot up screen?
My HD is partitioned into C,D,E and F. I installed XP to F drive.If I remove those files manually,what will happen?Any trouble?
Help...

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
You want to let Win 98 to be your operating system na ..?
Make a startup disk in Win98 .
Bootup your computer with it and on the command prompt, type :

Sys C: (press enter) ..

Now boot up your system .. You can safely delete Ntldr , Ndetect and boot.ini from your C: now ...

theraven

Technomancer
i_w_m
just a lil confirmation ...
if he deletes the ntldr and boot.ini from the c: he wont be able to boot will he ???
i didnt get what u said so im just confirming ..
anyways heres another method
boot into win98 ..
goto c: and open the boot.ini in notepad .. and delete the line which says windows xp ...
obviously make a back up of the file first
reboot and see if it still gives the option ..
if not then u can go ahead and format f:
and the install winxp when u have a workin cd drive

JAK

What the Heck !
theraven said:
i_w_m
just a lil confirmation ...

I hope batz wont mind me interfering..... :wink:

theraven said:
if he deletes the ntldr and boot.ini from the c: he wont be able to boot will he ???
i didnt get what u said so im just confirming ..

Sys C: (press enter) ..

A lil addition(think batz forgot to mention)..u hav to type the above command from ur floppy drive prompt (A:\) so that it copies the files to the C: drive.

This command will copy all the system files from the Bootable floppy to the C drive.
(using that command the following files will be copied to the C: drive)

#command.com
#io.sys
#msdos.sys
#drvspace.bin

theraven said:
anyways heres another method
boot into win98 ..
goto c: and open the boot.ini in notepad .. and delete the line which says windows xp ...
obviously make a back up of the file first
reboot and see if it still gives the option ..
if not then u can go ahead and format f:
and the install winxp when u have a workin cd drive

Well this method will work...... :wink:

however since he plans to remove WINXP completely.. i wud recommd. the above method.... :wink:

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
Nope I didnt forgot to mention but I was in library when I typed it and it have UK styled keyboard in which Forward Slash button ( \ ) is missing :( .. So I typed to enter it on Command prompt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom