Win XP Home problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aijaz Akhtar

Journeyman
Many problems simultaneoulsly, but I am posting them separately (not to increase the number of posts, but for my convenience to get the replies classified). This one is for Windows posted here, otrhers to be posted in Open Source. Sorry for the long preamble.
I have already reported that all of a sudden my working Windows XP Home got deactivated. In the Boot.INI file, the default is also shown as partition2 where I had XP Home, but when I selected this (or left any selection), I got the message 'hal.dll file missing, please reinstall windows'. And when I selected XP Home, I got the 'Please activate' sort of message.
Anyway, today I reactivated it (after managing with pirated XP Professional that I was forced to use) , but no sooner I went on line (FireFox/Opera). the system shut down giving the message that there was some error with 'lsass.exe' What might be this error? This happened twice today. This lsass.exe is also listed in services of Task manager. What is this, and is the error an indication of virus?
And also let me add (at NO. 2 here itself) that:
In Win XP Professionsl, for the last 4-5 days, internet is never accessible with any other browser except IE, Opera and FireFox gave the message that they could not connect to the sites I selected!!

anandk

Distinguished Member
lssass.exe problem ? lssass itself is not a problem. but perhaps u've been infected with sasser or the lovesan virus.
first run your virus scan (avast) at boot time or safe mode using deep-scan modes.
then download and use the latest sasser removal tool and sasser fixer tool (microsoft/symantec).
then patch up your pc with KB835732 patch.
use zone alarm firewall, when on the net.
in case u use broadband, take windows updates

visit
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17629&highlight=lovesan+blaster+virus and
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17561&highlight=lovesan+blaster+virus

scrub your system using 'ccleaner'.
after an anti-virus scan, use ms anti-spyware and adaware too,

for missing dll files visit www.dll-files.com/.

else with so many problems reformat ! :)

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
Hmmm.. Aijaz what you have got is called Sasser ... See the page for details ... The immediate solution is to turn on the Windows Firewall or install another firewall on your machine ..

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
with so many problem what u need is... Boot from ur XP CD... Press R go to recover option.... Type Format c: /q.... & then reinstall....

after that read this topics

HOWTO - Protecting your Windows system

& update ur windows with SP2 & all the new updates...

OP
A

Aijaz Akhtar

Journeyman
But if I remember, Sasser affects the RPC (Remore Procedure Call) and not with lsass. But yesterday I had no problem. I chceked with Stinger tool that I had. and it found some trojans in restore folder files. So did my Antivir antivirus. And SP@ has been installed here!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom