kmd

Right off the assembly line
I just bought a new system with the following specs:
P4 3.0 GHz with HT (Prescott)
Gigabyte GA915GB Duo MB
512 MB DDR 400 MHz RAM
80GB Segate SATA HDD
XFX GeForce FX 6600 PCI-E Card

I have installed Win XP with SP1. The Problem seems to be the boot up and shut down speed in the new comp. It takes more time than my old machine to boot up in to the Welcome Screen and the same amount of time to Shut down. I wonder if this Prob could be with the Virtual Memory or something? Can u help me out?

Techmastro

Journeyman
Could you tell how much time it take to boot up.
The time is heavily dependent on applications you have installed on your pc.
Still you can search in the forum there are lot of posts related to the topic.

KnightRider

Broken In
fist get a service pack 2.. for windows Xp.. now how long does it take to load.... while booting up! if the windows xp bar scrolls three times then the booting is normal... otherwise there is something else in the booting and startup (as i dont know whenis the booting slow!!!! at post? or or start up?)

mohit

The Hardware Labs
post your hijack this log file .. slow shutdown can be due to software like tracks erasers which clear your pagefile during shutdown , upgrade to sp2 and disable all the unnecessary software from startup. use a good software like ccleaner to monitor your startup programs and to clean all the junk. its recommended u do a full system scan using ad-aware and spybot s & d.

crashuniverse

In the zone
[qiote]type Msconfig in the run prompt and disable the unnecessary services .[/quote]

most probably this will help. cos its a new comp n he'd defitely installed new apps.

post boot problem can be rectified by disabling any "delay time for hard disk" under BIOS. but i rili dont think that'd be the problem as boards have it disabled by default until u give it some value.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Hmm, that doesnt really help coz it only speeds up ur logon...

Well, if u r not on a network, do this :
Install GAME XP and in the settings/options menu disable "Cosmetic settings" and then run it to optimise the windows.
create a backup point for sure
and also if u dont disabe the cosmetic settings tweak, u will lose all ur show of windows like themes, so be careful..

now ur sys will boot into 2 oscillations of the boot screen.

OP
K

kmd

Right off the assembly line
Thx.. here's additional info on the prob

It takes around 40 - 50 seconds for the entire boot up till the Welcome Screen. When I installed XP on the same machine with an NTFS File system, the booting time was drastically reduced to around 10 - 15 seconds! The scrolling blue bar on the Windows Logo during boot up scrolls for around 11 times when XP is in FAT32. But the same thing scrolls only thrice on NTFS.

I have another system and have connected both using CAT 5 10/100 MBps cable. Since the other system runs Win98SE and XP on FAT32. I can't access the New System from the Old system. That's y I reformatted my new system on FAT32. I'll try turning off the non-essential services and get back to u..

anandk

Distinguished Member
maybe this thread will help you.
how to make winxp start/shutdown faster.
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17845&highlight=make+winxp+sutdown+faster

godsownman

Padawan
Even my PC boots and shutsdown very slowly.

It takes close to 2 minutes 40 seconds to BOOT

and 1 minute and 5 seconds to shutdown.

Can somebody please help me also. I ahve gone through most of the discussions earlier but have not been able to achieve any result.

My OS is Windows XP

The following applications load when I boot,

1. Avg Virus Scanner
2. Network
3. Zone Alarm Firewall
4. Google Talk
5. Yahoo Messenger

Awaiting a faster boot and shutdown time.

Thanks

dr_jimit

Journeyman
Try this

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67938

Bootvis really works .
25- 30 sec to workable windows.

raksrules

Youngling
Try to boot in safe mode by pressing F8 at the start screen and see what processes are running in background. This may give you a picture as to what services are getting initiated.

shady_inc

Pee into the Wind...
To shutdown faster,go to task manager>>>Shut Down.Hold down Ctrl key and click on Turn Off,keeping Ctrl pressed all the time and also for about 2 secs after clicking on Turn Off.

slugger

Banned
q3_abhi said:
Try Game XP. Its the best.
QwertyManiac said:
Did u try game XP ?

yup Game XP is really nifty in speding up ur computer without OCing it

i suggest dat u first run Game XP and speed up d comp to watever it can do

den open d services window and disable/manual those serviceas that u do not need but GameXP did not disable/manual

i have been able to bring d list of services dat r autmaioc or manual to 19 and der is a significant improvement in booting up speed and general performance

and installing SP2 is an absolute must

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom