win 98 not detecting cd rom drive. dos and xp detects it

Status
Not open for further replies.

aditya169

Journeyman
hi i have intel 915 gav m.b and compaq cd drive the problem is that win 98 does not detect cd drive . win xp detects it without any problem . when i put a bootable cd in the cd drive and start computer then i get option to boot from hdd or from cd rom . this means dos is decting cd drive.but why isnt wi 98 decting cd drive
is it because of stata ?

so please help me and tell why my win 98 does not detecting cd drive?

Charley

Just Do It
When I change the drive to CDrom in DOS/MSDos mode/Command Prompt it says Invalid Drive Specification... Now whats that .... But it reads the drive in Win98...

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
i have tryed it with defrent mobo... UATA system... so will this work not not, i dont know... but u can try it.. try to go to divice manager the find the IDE ATA/ATAAI controler

delet/uninstall the Secondary IDE channel restart ur system & install the drivers again... get back here...

Biplav

In the zone
well its some win 98 problem
i had it too.
i just reinstalled win 98(took14 mins)then it was all ok
by reinstalling i mean her just overwriting the files, nothing is lost, only windows files are overwritten.
but it is only possible if u have win98 cd or have it saved on ur hdd..

banned2wise

Broken In
You can try disconnecting the bus for cdrom . Then after that u can reconnect and check @ cmos whether its detected. Then try booting in win98 , perhaps this cud solve ur problem.

You can also try deleting the sec-ide as suggested by sauravcheeta.
There is no use in reinstalling windows for this problem.

OP
A

aditya169

Journeyman
thanks man i tried all these still didnt work . dos is detecting it . that means cos also is.

when i start win 98 i et a error sayig the device attached to system in ini file is not valid. vnetbios is the file i think . does this have any thing to do with it?

i could not delete IDE ATA/ATAAI controler. and in device manager their is lot of conflicts shown

OP
A

aditya169

Journeyman

cannot find a device file that may be needed to run Windows or a Windows application. The windows registry or SYSTEM.INI file refers to this device, but the device file no longer exists.............

vnetbios.vxd

OP
A

aditya169

Journeyman
when i remove it i et the error

" this device is a part of multi -functional device and cannot be rremoved in dependently to remove this device remove the mulitifunctional parent"

the parent has even primary channel

Mahesh Babu

Journeyman
If u have installed win98 in C drive

There should be two files in C directory.
1.Autoexec.bat
2.Config.sys
THey may be hidden so check them.IF they are not there create them.
Then edit these two files accordingly as suggested below:

In Autoexec.bat

C:\windows\command\Mscdex.exe /d:mscd001
(add this line in autoexec.bat file using notepad and save it)

In config.sys

device=C:\windows\command\ebd\oakcdrom.sys /d:mscd001
(add this line in config.sys file using notepad and save it)

Now restart

NOTE:If u have installed in other drive leas say D drive,then replace C with D in the above steps.

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
Aditya said:
when i remove it i et the error

" this device is a part of multi -functional device and cannot be rremoved in dependently to remove this device remove the mulitifunctional parent"

the parent has even primary channel

to remove it u need to boot in or log in in safe mod.... hit F8 when u r booting in... then select boot in Safe mob...

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
By the way Adi...

is ur CDROM in the secendory channel.... or it pluged in as a slave of primary master (That is ur HDD)???

this the most important question at this ponit.....

D

dinesh_singh

i think...the best solution to every windows problem lies in 5 sinple steps....
1:-backup ur valuable files in c: (asuming u have windows installed in c)
2:-boot in dos thru a bootable floppy or cd
3:-type format c:
4:reinstall windows
5:-enjoy.

this problem happened to me several times when i used to have windows 98.but after getting xp its gone.i used to follow these simple steps since my first compter....which was celeron 533 mhz with 64 mb of ram.man do u know how much i paid for that system---60000 rs.at that time it was a powerhouse.
:)

Mahesh Babu

Journeyman
dinesh_singh said:
i think...the best solution to every windows problem lies in 5 sinple steps....
1:-backup ur valuable files in c: (asuming u have windows installed in c)
2:-boot in dos thru a bootable floppy or cd
3:-type format c:
4:reinstall windows
5:-enjoy.

this problem happened to me several times when i used to have windows 98.but after getting xp its gone.i used to follow these simple steps since my first compter....which was celeron 533 mhz with 64 mb of ram.man do u know how much i paid for that system---60000 rs.at that time it was a powerhouse.
:)
Yes dude u are correct ,even i used to do the same thing whenever i get some problem in windows98 on my old celeron 400Mhz ,96Mb ram.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom