Win 98 crashes on 26th April

Status
Not open for further replies.

rajzoo1

Broken In
Dear Friendz

On 26th April 2004 at 11 p.m my computer (Win98) crashed. I was just copying some files from one drive/folder to another. My machine was in top condition before this incident with no error messages. While copying, suddenly the famous Blue Screen of Death (BSD) appeared and in no way i could recover. I was forced to switch off the power directly after trying a lot (pressing Esc.,Spacebar, Return, & Ctrl+Alt+Del). And when I restarted my P.C, with my biggest computer nightmare ever I found the message that there is no O.S (all the drives c,d,e was formatted, I had three partition) in the machine. It just showed BOOT FUILURE. I lost all my valuable Data, programmes of last 5 yrs.

Next day same problem was reported by one of my friend and a local Computer vendor (At 6/7 persons came with their dead P.C).

So, I want to know what was that problem. Is it was a virus, or its a Microsoft way of compelling you to upgrade. If any one of you people found it earlier. What is the way to protect it. Please share....as tomorrow, the day is back.....26th April.

W

Wizard No.2

huh, All Irrrelevant post should be deleted automatically, hop someone writes a program for tis

[lokesh]

Journeyman
By the time you were posting this, i hope u have a new PC and a new OS, moreover this incident has happened a year ago, why are u posting this too late. If you are used to use internet in that windows 98, i hope it has to be a crash due to a virus, coz 2004 had many new viruses.

cheetah

In the zone
Do u use pirated copy????

Every year on 26 April ,some pirated version of Win 98 crash in same way.

So i prefer Win 98 users to change their PC clocks to skip 26 april.

Apollo

"Technologic"
Staff member
Huh? What about this?

I run a Win98 OS... and April 26 came and went and I don't think anything crashed on my system.

Didn't know about such a thing happening, anyways.

Are you not using any Antivirus software(upto date)
if you use and regurlary scan your system may not get that DEAD thing..Ok by gones are by gones...

Your system effected by: Chernobyl virus (CIH) (As I Know)
It infects only Windows 95 and Windows 98 systems and activates when the system month reads April and the system day reaches 26.

When CIH triggers, it tries to overwrite critical information on the system's hard disk and, on some computers, deletes system information storied in BIOS memory, which leaves the computer unbootable.

So it's better to upgrage your system to XP and USE good Antivirus Software (COMPULSARY)

iinfi

mekalodu
Shikhar said:
Cool post. Never knew this.

same here

i have never used win98 in my life ...

DOS
win3.11 (forgot the name hope its correct)
win95
win ME
win 2000 adv server
win XP pro
linux (dragon and SuSe 9.1 personal)
these are the OSs i had in my home PC :)
:d

GameAddict

In the zone
Yes, it might be CIH !

@ramakrishna.nalla: I agree with you.

26/April is the day when Chernobyl Accident occured.And it is the trigger day of the original virus.

anubhav_har

In the zone
Hey man Chernobyl didnt attack my PC this year, but all 98 users beware of 26/04 every year. I think by next year April 98 will be the first extinct os of the millenium

cheetah

In the zone
I dont know why this happens but this is a usual thing here in Punjab.

Most of the people use Windows 98 (Pirated) and i think the same copy is in circulation so most of the systems crash on 26.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom