Will this power supply be sufficient?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gannu_rox

In the zone
Hello friends,

I recently assembled a rig for the config.

AMD 3500+
MSI K8NGM2-FID
Transcend 1 GB 400 DDR RAM
160 GB Barracuda SATA II
SONY DRU 820A DVD+-RW
XFX 7900GT 256MB DDR3

I had also bot a Powersafe 400W fo Rs.1560 from B'lore.
Will this power be sufficient for the above. Can I add another GB of ram for the same?

Please reply A.S.A.P
Ganesh

Aniruddh

Ambassador of Buzz
yups i totally agree wid deathvirus...that 400w powersafe psu is not at all sufficient for ur rig with 3500+,7900 gpu etc etc.

mohit

The Hardware Labs
dude change ur psu .. when u bought such a uber rig ..u should have bought a better psu .. go for an antec smartpower 500w minimum man .. or the best get an antec neo he 500w.

samrulez

Cyborg Agent
yep u need atleast a 500-550 watt SMPS.And from a good company such as Antec/VIP/Powersafe etc...

cyrux

In the zone
Just saw the test rig of techtree.com They used amd 3500 + , 1Gb ram and 7600 GS on a 400 W psu (power safe i guess). So i dont think it should be a PSU prob

Any ways just to be sure try a 500 W psu

wizrulz

GUNNING DOWN TEAMS
kichu_overclocked said:
thats more than enuf dude.......u got the rite stuff

U urself r using a 600W power supply isnt it????

Hey ganesh get a 500 or 600 w power supply to be on safer side...y compromise when u have invested so much on that RIG

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
I'd not say a 500W .. for any single card system .. even with the top end hardware .. the max. load (100%) wattage should be around 350W ... so even a good 430W should do ... get a Antec SP2.0 400W psu if u can ... the best that i can recommend in this category ...

Antec SP2.0 400W : *www.theitdepot.com/products.asp?prod=10693

Antec TP2.0 480W : *www.theitdepot.com/products.asp?prod=11436

U might even get a 430W if i remember correctly ... am too sleepy to search for that now ... google around to find the best .. i'd recommend Antec anyway ...

Here the psu calculator i used :

*www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp

AMD 3500+
MSI K8NGM2-FID
Transcend 1 GB 400 DDR RAM
160 GB Barracuda SATA II
SONY DRU 820A DVD+-RW
XFX 7900GT 256MB DDR3

With this inputs i got around 220W .... lol .. surprised ?? that too only under 100% utilization ... now do that happen so much ???

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
deathvirus_me said:
I'd not say a 500W .. for any single card system .. even with the top end hardware .. the max. load (100%) wattage should be around 350W ... so even a good 430W should do ... get a Antec SP2.0 400W psu if u can ... the best that i can recommend in this category ...

Antec SP2.0 400W : *www.theitdepot.com/products.asp?prod=10693

Antec TP2.0 480W : *www.theitdepot.com/products.asp?prod=11436

U might even get a 430W if i remember correctly ... am too sleepy to search for that now ... google around to find the best .. i'd recommend Antec anyway ...

Here the psu calculator i used :

*www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp

With this inputs i got around 220W .... lol .. surprised ?? that too only under 100% utilization ... now do that happen so much ???
I used the same calculator and the recommended PSU wattage required was shown: 248 W.
I think I might have entered something wrong. Can you please take a look at the following pic and guide me? (The resolution is 1600x1200.)
*img294.imageshack.us/img294/8434/extremeoutervisionextremepsuca.th.jpg

janitha

Wise Old Owl
A PSU of 400, 430 or 450 should be sufficient if it is a well known brand like Antec. The reason is that in such cases, they specify the current ratings for different voltages which should be reliable. But in case of unknown or local brands which are cheap, the specifications are very often exaggerated.

By no means do I imply that you should go for costly brands like the ones mentioned. If you search, you will get good quality PSUs at half the cost of an Antec.

I can only suggest a simple rule of thumb. The heavier, the better.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom