Will the iPhone Revolutionize Portable Gaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CadCrazy

in search of myself
*common.ziffdavisinternet.com/util_get_image/19/0,1425,i=199380,00.jpg
Some of us paid close attention to Apple when they announced the iPhone SDK (Software Development Kit) and enterprise features of the upcoming 2.0 firmware. Ignoring the enterprise features for now, here's a summary of what's going on with iPhone development. *www.extremetech.com/images/spacer.gif
  • Download the SDK for free, today.
  • Develop on any Mac (sorry, Windows developers) and run under emulation. Hook up your iPhone to test on that and run profiling and debugging stuff.
  • When you're ready to publish, you have to be a part of the developer network, which costs $100.
  • The developer sets the price, and it goes on the iTunes store and a special on-phone application store. You get 70%, Apple gets 30%. If your app is free, there's no distribution charge.
That's a very generous distribution model. All software will come from the same unified software library, which can be accessed from the device itself. The model actually looks a lot like Xbox Live Arcade and the XNA Creators Club stuff: very low barrier to entry, distribution to everyone with the device, and a pretty generous revenue percentage (you should see how bad the percentages are on many casual game portals and other similar distribution services).
Sega's on board, so is Electronics Arts. Lots of other smaller game developers, we're told, are developing for the iPhone, like Freeverse. John Carmack, the industry luminary and coding guru from id Software, had this to say about the SDK announcement on Slashdot:
We have put in our application like everyone else, so I don't have any inside information at this point. I think Steve is still pissed at me over some negative comments I made about iPod development tools a while ago. Just based on the blurbs, it looks very good--a simulator plus debugging on the native device is the best of both worlds, and a 70% royalty deal for apps over iTunes is quite good. The iTunes distribution channel is really a more important aspect than a lot of people understand. The ability to distribute larger applications than the over-the-air limits and effectively market your title with more than a dozen character deck name, combined with the reasonable income split make this look like a very interesting market. This type of developer/customer interaction is probably the wave of the future for mobile devices, it will be interesting to see how quickly the other players can react. Based on our experiences with the carriers, I am betting not very quickly.​
I personally can think of six reasons why the iPhone may revolutionize portable gaming, or at least the cell phone gaming market

Read More

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
^^^LOL. iphone and game revolution? It may revolutionalize how we can play games like scrabble and mario. Game revolution can be done only by three companies. MS, Sony and Nintendo. No one else can even come near.

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!
^^^^ agree pcworm...

and soon SE is about to beat nokia...

but i wish nokia nd se merge or join force to bring out better phones... that would be a great dominating factor in the owrld of mobile...

PCWORM

UBERGEEK
^^^^ agree pcworm...

and soon SE is about to beat nokia...

but i wish nokia nd se merge or join force to bring out better phones... that would be a great dominating factor in the owrld of mobile...
Yea,,,,SE is close to beating Nokia....and Xperia will proove it!
A merger will b gud,,, but i want SE to excel on their own....!

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!
me too.... ^^^^

xperia will beat...

but its a long in that diretion to go .. since there are many big guns out there ...like black berry, o2 eetc.... we have to wait and seee...

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
If you guys are not aware, It is Samsung that is making lot of inroads into the mobile phone market. They are now global no.2 in terms of market share.

Nokia and Samsung combined have 54% of market share.

1) Nokia 39.20 %
2) Samsung 14.90 %
3) Motorola 13.10 %
4) Sony Ericsson 9.10 %
5) LG 7.70%

btw, apple got 0.4% market share. Considering that it has just one model in smartphone segment and only availble in less than 10 countries, this is pretty good share.

PCWORM

UBERGEEK
Apple introduced the iphone with sum gr8 features, and at the end of the day,,,the sales were backed bcoz of hype...so it was quite obvious to get that much market share with a single phone....take an example of games like HALO3 which only sell more bcoz of immense hype and expectations!

Last edited:
sony PSP and nintendo DS already did revolunise portable gaming.
there are actually tournaments for some game called Pokemon Perl in DS, which are played on the console via WiFi online.
PSP has ensured that portable gaming has become affordable for all thanks to ability to play ISOs of games.

hatz off to both.

Apple and gaming???huh!!what a joke:D
I didnt buy a mac and got this PC just for gaming coz i know that the sh1tty 7600 GT or ATI 2600 pro would die running newer games.Moreover,MAC OSX doesnt support gaming for it is based UNIX.

PCWORM

UBERGEEK
If you guys are not aware, It is Samsung that is making lot of inroads into the mobile phone market. They are now global no.2 in terms of market share.

Nokia and Samsung combined have 54% of market share.

1) Nokia 39.20 %
2) Samsung 14.90 %
3) Motorola 13.10 %
4) Sony Ericsson 9.10 %
5) LG 7.70%
Source please...

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
ROFL! Nokia has 30% more market share than SE, and you guys are saying SE will beat Nokia!:D Yeah maybe in year 2020. Or maybe much sooner, maybe tonight, when you sleep, you'll have a dream where SE has beaten Nokia. Ha Ha.

Coming back on topic, I think iPhone can never beat PSP in terms of gameplay. It might appeal to casual gamers who don't want to carry along their phones and their PSP everywhere. Its biggest disadvantage is the lack of physical buttons. I can't imagine playing without them. No amount of motion sensors and can replace the feel of good old fashioned buttons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom