Will Linux cease to exist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ferrarif50

Journeyman
Hello all,

Just a highly improbable hypothetical question...

If Windows goes open source , will Linux cease to exist?

Post ur views!

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
No.. Linux is much more mature in the OSS field. And dont worry, MS will never go open source.

cynosure

UbuntuUser
@ferrari: Question is absurd but your avatar explains everything:D.

I agree with kalpik coz I use ubuntu too.

mediator

Technomancer
^MS will have to redo then the whole security architecture of windows!

Neways ur avatar explains everything tooo!

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
And open source isn't only about showing the source code, it's much wider term than that.
So, I don't believe windows can ever go open source unless MS is in such a pathetic situation that there's no other alternative left. And if such a day comes people will shun windows anyways.

mediator

Technomancer
I just wonder when will all the companies like Sony, Apple etc provide support for open source standards like ogg in their music players.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
if windows goes open source then.................................. windows will cease to exist!!!! coz there are already mature oss products out there! :)

Aberforth

The Internationalist
Even if Windows were to go open source, Linux wouldn't cease to exist. There are many social and commercial reasons for that, due to the non-proprietary nature of Linux, there would still is widespread support for it. And due to its stability and scalability compared to Windows, intensive single application servers will continue to use Linux.

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
Microsoft and Open-Source. Hahahaha. Impossible. Windows or any microsoft product will NOT go open-source.

Last edited:

nepcker

Proud Mac Pro Owner
I don't know of any open-source MS products (free and open source, that is). I don't think that MS will ever open the source of Windows. For that to happen, I should be declared the CEO of MSFT. :D

Oh, the source code of Windows Vista was leaked by me (Check it out here). But that didn't show any improvement in Vista. ;)

Till the Internet exists, I think that Linux will exist.

There's a huge open-source community already, many of those community members hate MS, so at least they will be supporting Linux.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom