Wierd Problem with my Windows!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Journeyman
I have windows XP pro, and lately I have been having a wierd porblem.

How it started: Notification Wnd for RNAdmin

This End Program Notification came everytime I shut down my Computer. Also rundll32.exe had to be ended becos it won't respond. So I read somewhere on the net that his error is related to Real Networks Admin (RNAdmin).

* I uninstalled Real Player and everything related to it from my PC.
* Still rundll32.exe was getting hung.

A day after this, when I switched on my pc and logged onto the comp- The logging on became very slow. ( The login page would remain there for a long time ~ the windows login sound also came but the desktop never comes for a long while)

When the desktop came, when I right click on My Computer>Properties The window never comes. When I try to open System Restore that also does not open.
When I Right Click My Computer> Manage and Click Disk Management from there it gets Hung up ...

When I run Task Manager Sometimes it shows CPU usage 100%, and svcthost would be using up 99% sometimes.

I noticed that the number of services running came down to 25. I usually have 28 to 26 services running.

When I click my computer and try to browse through it, it does not show any Dirves .. Or anything.. It keeps searching for the drives. And the window and explorer.exe gets hung.

When try to shutdown at this moment it takes ages to do so. And I have to manually reset it.

I tried looking into the Services - And I found that some services which are on Automatic and should have been started State as: "starting" and they remain like that for a long time. If i try to manually stop or start any service it takes ages to do so.

When I checked in the Event log it showed many errors in starting services which stated that some services were hung.

These are the serives which show as starting.

*Background Intelligent Transfer Service
*Cryptographic services
*Event log services

I could not figure out what was going on so I presumed that repairing windll32.exe would help. So I used windows XP recovery console to expand the same file. Which did not help.

The comp remained like this and sometimes it would become ok just like that.
Finally I repaired the whole windows. Copying all the files (NOT a freshn install~repaired the existing windows)

This helped for a couple of days and again the same problem occured.
I have repaired windows again cos I cannot afford to reinstall windows as I would lose much valuable programs which I do not have right now.

I thoughly Scanned for viruses using AVG Free edition 6.0 with Updates of late September 2004. Also checked for spyware using AdAware SE and Spybot 1.3~ There were no viruses and no Spyware. I have connected to the net only once or twice in the past month.

Now also, the problem comes and goes off. Certain boots would give the problem. If I leave the PC for about 20 minutes sometimes it becomes ok. If i reboot it a couple of times, it becomes ok again!
I have checked in device manager-- There are no hardware problems!

Can anyone figure out what the problem is what the remedy could be?

Thanks in advance!

OP

Journeyman
smash555, I do not know how to put multiple porblems in a short way- tht was my summarized version of the problem.
And it_waaznt_me, thanks, I will try to post the logfile ASAP.

DJ Shaji

Broken In
Maybe your system is getting overheated or some thing - if the problem occurs only "sometimes", then maybe it's related to the hardware. Check if the CPU and cabinet fans are working properly.

This is a long shot - but check if your UPS or CVT or whatever you use is working properly.

Also check if your RAM modules are working properly. If you have 2, then remove them one by one to check if they're OK.

OP

Journeyman
I've resolved it finally by installing Windows XP SP2.
I appreciate all the help. Thank you all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom