Wi Fi range query

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeon

ThE oNE & ONlY ??
i wanted to know if a wi fi signal will be strong if my wi fi router is situated on the ground floor of my house and I'm accessing files from my desktop (which is connected via ethernet to the router below),surfing the net on my laptop in the room above... will it spread across to the top from the ground floor ?

So nobody knows about wi fi range ?

Last edited:

harmads

Journeyman
It will depand upon where you keep your router.Normally it is suggested that it be kept in a central location of the house. However if it is not possible then try and keep it such that there is as less obstruction as possible, in the way. If the room is directly above your router then the signal wll be very less or nil because of the concrete cieling is in the way. You may need a range extender(repeater).

I have a situation very similar to yours. My router is located with the PC in a room in one corner of the house. Moving my laptop out of that room, the signal becomes weak. I am also considering options to increase the range....... Placing the router away from the PC, which is connected with ethernet cable to the router, will pose a problem of wiring externally from PC to router and back, which is not a great option..

Do give me your feedback on how you sort your problem..

Regards

aytus

The Boss
hi.. actually the signal strength largly depends upon the type of equipment used and the obstacles placed.. in ur case especially ... try to place the router vertically if ur room is situated directly above the router .. most integrated wifi routers do have slots for vertical hanging.. or simply rotate ur antenna parller to earths surface.. also consider buying some good routers .. like draft N routers have very strong signal and can easily penetrate from 2 to 3 ceilings,, normal wifi routers have approximate range of 50feet..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom