Wi-Fi Hardware Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
first up this is what i want to do:

an existing wired lan to be made wireless consists about 6-7 machines and then an airtel broadband to be shared over this network ... all wirelessly

now i went seraching and decided to go for dlink desktop adapters cosing around 1300/- a peice now the router is what im not able to decide ... a salesguy told me that normal routers can handle upto only 4 machines which im not cerain of ....

i want to know the hardware reqs and specific models would be lovely .... brand - dlink or linksys

[xubz]

"The Cake is a Lie!!"
Linksys WRT54G, I Always suggest that :)

AFAIK, It supports 4 Wired LAN Clients and nearly 'unlimited' Wireless Clients. So no need to worry!

The Router can normally share internet by just connecting your pre-configured DSL Router to one of the LAN Ports of the WiFi Router.

OR configure the DSL Router to Bridge Mode and let your WiFi Router dial using PPPoE. (It has a separate 'Broadband' port for that)

If you can get the Linksys WRT54GL (L stands for Linux, it runs opensource firmware), You can mod it to your heart's content!

OP
iMav

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
i think iv sen this ... so unlimited wireless conx can be supported right?

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
yeah it can be. anyways, even if you don't get the L version even the normal wrt54g has many many modded firmwares :)

if you use the ppoe mode in the wireless router, you get to use full 4 wired connections.

OP
iMav

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
@infra .... wired 4 is ok .... wireless i was told by a representative also has a limit of 4 :? and also wat does oconnecting a comp to the router thru a wire do other than net sharing it does not make the comp accessible thru a wireless netwrok

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
no, as such many wireless connections can be handled. only things is simultaneous access may be a problem say for eg. more than 8 connections. the router is a mini computer. it has its own processor and ram. so there are some constraints regarding the number of simultaneous connections.

yes, you can haf a mixed connection of wired and wireless and share the net, files, stream media, play games and do everything that you can in a pure wired or wireless network.

btw, wrt54g should be available in the market for less than 2.4k now. dunno about the cost of dlink router now.

OP
iMav

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
ok now this is what i got from 2 different representatives ... and im not really sure as to how to put it in simple words ...

for example ....

i have a wired network of 4 comps which are connected to the router via a hub and have a broadband conx .... now i want all the 4 comps to be accessible over lan wirelessly and sharing the net also .... having achieved that say i carry in 2 wireless lappies into the network they should be able to transfer files with the four comps and also be able to share the internet ....

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
ok forget what they said. don't confuse urself. i'll put it down again.

you haf 3 desktops. all 4 are connected to wrt54g thru rj45 cable (wired, 100mbps). you haf 4 laptops, all of them connect to wrt45g in 802.11g mode (wireless, 54mbps). all are on the same workgroup. you haf the broadband modem connected to the wrt54g via rj45 cable.

the modem has the ip address say 192.168.1.1, the wrt54g has 192.168.1.2, the desktops haf ip addresses from 192.168.1.3 thru 192.168.1.5. the laptops haf from 192.168.1.6 thru 192.168.1.10. all haf the same subnet mask and all the computers haf the modem's ip address as the gateway. in this way all can access the net thru the modem, can see each other on the network, can share files, stream, can be used to play a multi-player games and the router can easily handle all the 7 devices.

i think i've tried to be as clear as possible by explaining in layman's terms. if you still haf any queries/doubts. they are welcome :)

OP
iMav

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
i was saying the same bloody thing that once connected with wire to the outer i can access the network with my lappy wireless (inother words i made my wired network wireless) and they said no ... 3 different shop guys told me that .... :x fcuk them

ok so now 2 more questions before i go to buy the whole setup ... if my comps are connected to each other via a hub and i connect just 1 wire bettween the hub and wi-fi router - net sharing amongst and data transfer can still take place with a wireless lappy?

and the difference of cost between a n and g router is of 6k .... i will be able to convince my dad of the charges so i was thinking of going with the n std router and g std cards for some desktops ... fair enough?

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
offtopic: Whats is the maximum recomended length of LAN cable for setting up as cross crimped connction. I hope I put the question correctly.

OP
iMav

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
nothing as such .... if ur data seems to lag use repeaters :)

*www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/cisintwk/ito_doc/introlan.htm

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
@charah
widout repeaters a rule of thumb sayz its 100m

@imav
why do you need a separate hub? the wifi router usually has a wired hub builtin too. i'm not fully sure about it but if the network goes down one more step you may be required to do some more changes to the ip address. not sure about it, as i said. but i don't see the need of a hub if you don't haf more than 4 wired connections.

regarding the n standard. i don't think you'll buy 802.11n wifi cards again for ur laptops. in case of desktops as you said you are already connecting it thru wires. so why do you need an 802.11n router, immediatly?

[xubz]

"The Cake is a Lie!!"
Um. WiFi router works just like a Normal LAN Switch.. Except that WiFi (also called Wireless LAN) is Wireless :|

If you configure the router and Lan Properties correctly then it'll work the same as connecting your laptops using cables and switch.

OP
iMav

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
infra_red_dude said:
@imav
why do you need a separate hub? the wifi router usually has a wired hub builtin too. i'm not fully sure about it but if the network goes down one more step you may be required to do some more changes to the ip address. not sure about it, as i said. but i don't see the need of a hub if you don't haf more than 4 wired connections.
thats coz a wired network already exists so just need to connect 1 wire from the hub to the router and as the hub is in a closed closet and the wi-fi router will be placed in an open area somewhere at the top taking individual wires wont bepossible in the office :)
infra_red_dude said:
regarding the n standard. i don't think you'll buy 802.11n wifi cards again for ur laptops. in case of desktops as you said you are already connecting it thru wires. so why do you need an 802.11n router, immediatly?
im not buyin n std cards for anything but as the office has been made into 2 floors in manner dificulkt to explain i think that n will give me better connectivity :)

bikdel

Alpha Geek Banned
bit off topic but i have 802.11b inbuilt in my laptop...... i wanna share files n internet just with 1 desktop........

in wired network, we could use cross crimped cables to network 2 PCs, is that possible in wireless too.......

If i buy a 802.11b card for my desktop will it be enough?? or do i have to go for a router?....

pls help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom