Wi-Fi At Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

d

Journeyman
Hi I have a PC and two laptops and a single broadband connection. I would like to share the internet connection and network all of these wirelessly. What is the equipment that I need(given that both the laptops are not wi-fi enabled) and how much will it cost? Are there any expected problems in setting up such a connection? Is there any cheaper alternative?

digen

Youngling
For the laptops you will either need a PCMCIA or USB wi-fi 802.11g adapters.

As for as connecting wired & wireless computers a access point will do but it is a wiser descision to get a wireless router as the cost difference is very less plus you get added functionality.

Setting up a wireless network is a walk in the park like anything else for that matter.Just gotta know the basics to get it to work.If you are concerned about security then its altogether a different story.

Example right now i'm with my laptop in my bedroom all packed up in bed with my laptop besides me connected the internet with a Linksys WRT54G[hacked alchemy firmware] which is located two rooms apart.

I've no idea what the prices are now.But I got my Linksys WRT54G wireless router for 3.5k & a couple of WMP54G PCI adpaters for 2.2k each a month or so back.

theraven

Technomancer
requirements:

1) lan card on pc
2) 2 pcmcia wireless cards for 2 laptops
3) wireless card for desktop
4) wireless router

connect broadband cable / modem to router
connect desktop pc by wires or thru wireless to router
use this pc to login to internet connection

use 2 wifi enabled laptops to wireless router

once ur net is logged in , it'll be avaialble for all clients

and for crying out loud search the freakin forum first
i have a tutorial up in the tutorial section
read it ..
if u have issues come here and ask

a pcmcia card will cost you abt 2500 and router ard 4k for a dlink and 4.5 for linksys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom