Status
Not open for further replies.

krishnathelord

In the zone
why use 400W smps over 350W or any other?
who can u check hte wattage of a smps?

i know that this a foolish quetion but couldnot help myself

busyanuj

In the zone
why prefer 400W smps instead of 350W one?

because, you just might need to install more components inside the cabinet (such as additional hard drives, additional writers etc).
keeps you future proof (somewhat).

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
Firstly 400W and above smps are better made they have a higher rating component usage and run cooler. Also its a thumb rule that any system should not be run at its peak utilization for long. Say you use a 350W SMPS no problems it will work but the stress that the components within the smps are facing is much more as they are operating near there peak performance factor, so likely chances of failure are high. Also a 400W SMPS makes a lot of sense when you add on more devices there is alwase power reserve available to you.

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
sorry i overlooked that one.
There are two ways to check the wattage of the smps first is the claimed wattage which can be got by multipling the voltage x current for all the circuits that the smps has and adding them i.e.
12V x 12A + 3.3V x 20A + |-5|V x 0.5A + |-12| V x 0.8A + 5V x 2A = 350W
The actual wattage that the smps can give is checked by measuring the current that it is drawing from the 220V AC mains amd at what power factor. This measurment is done on load and on no load then calculate the power taken by the supply as V x I x PF This is the input power and at an efficency calculated from noload readings and given spec (around 75% - 80%) is the rated smps power. For all this a power meter is needed. Not a very complex instrument all colleges and electrical motor rewinding shops have it.

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
krishnathelord said:
why use 400W smps over 350W or any other?
who can u check hte wattage of a smps?

i know that this a foolish quetion but could not help myself
I don't think these are foolish questions at all.

The first one has been adequately answered. The answer to the second one is more complex than many people would think. Pradeep's answer tells you how to measure the power drawn from the mains, but the issue here is how much the PSU can supply reliably.

The ratings chart pasted on a PSU (SMPS) states how many amperes of current can be drawn from each voltage rail. But in reality, many, if not most, PSU's would soon fail if these full-load currents were actually drawn by the load. Many manufacturers overrate their products as a marketing ploy.

One way to test the actual capacity of PSUs is to draw the full-load current from all the voltage rails and measure the voltage with an accurate voltmeter. The voltage output should not change by more than an acceptable limit from no load to full load. E.g., the 5V rail should be not more than about 5.1V at no load, and not less than about 4.8V at full load. (The 5.1V and 4.8V values should be taken as guides and not as strict standards).

The problem here is to how to provide the proper loads. A 300W PSU usually has a 5V rail rated at around 30A. To test this at full load, one would need a 0.17-ohm resistor rated for 200 watts or more, and it will be next to impossible to find such a resistor in an electronics parts shop.

To test the 12V rail rated at 15A, you'd need a 0.8-ohm, 250W resistor.

Such resistors can be made up by combining available parts, but that's hardly practicable except for a testing lab or a keen professional.

Even if the PSU can deliver the rated currents, there's the question of long-term reliability. I've seen PSUs that rate the 5V rail at 30A, but use a 10A or 15A rectifier to supply it. Such a PSU is very likely to fail after some time if you draw a continuous load of, say, 20A or more from the 5V rail.

These manufacturers hope to get away with such practices because the full rated load is seldom used. The truth is a 300W PSU by one manufacturer may actually be better than a so-called 400W unit by another company.

BTW, right now I'm testing a newly assembled computer with an A64 3000+, two 120GB hard disks, 1GB RAM, DVD-R/W, CD-R/W, FX5200, video capture card with TV tuner. I'm using a 300W PSU that I tweaked to deliver the full capacity.

Sorry I can't give a simple answer to your question, but I hope I have at least managed to present a broad overview of the issues involved.

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
Cut out the geek stuff : krishnathelord buy a good 400W SMPS and forget about it. Your choice of power safe SMPS is a good one, and i would recommend that you go ahead with it.

OP
K

krishnathelord

In the zone
Cut out the geek stuff : krishnathelord buy a good 400W SMPS and forget about it. Your choice of power safe SMPS is a good one, and i would recommend that you go ahead with it.

would be doing this after few weeks 8) :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom